Plastic Vs Glass For Competitions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use to enter brews into a competition?

• Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plastic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I have decided to enter my first comp later in the year and have the choice of both plastic PET bottles or colelcting some 800/330ml bottles to enter the brews with.

What are other peoples choice?

either one is fine, both have their advantages e.g. if your posting it plastic is cheaper!

but i think the judges are more interested what is inside the bottle :lol:

PET bottles for comps for all the reasons above.Keep your glass for home.Just dont send a 2 L pet the judges dont like to have nothing left to taste later if its a good one. ;)
GB

I always use plastic, another reason is that when you fill it, you can squeeze all of the air out of the headspace as you screw the lid up, which is an advantage over filling glass.

Plastic is way more convenient and won't break (not easily anyway) in transit. Whether the judges care or not depends on how the competition is run. The comps around here do a "cellar pour" where the bottles aren't even seen by the judges so it doesn't matter. The Americans tend to pour at the table and GUARANTEED they'll give you grief about plastic bottles or twist off glass bottles. Wankers. <_<

All things considered, plastic is better. For long term storage, however, go with glass.

Back