Plastic Sugar Measures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron86

Reaction score
Gday all.

I purchased 1 of those cheap plastic sugar measures from CB a few weeks ago hoping that using correctly measured dextrose would possibly slightly improve my beers as opposed to those shitty coopers carb drops.

I have sinced carbed about 60 bottles over 2 separate brews using the correct measurements (according to the levels on the measure) but they ALL seem to be stupendously under-carbed.

I just tried 1 of my porters which has been on the bottle carb for the 8th day and is completely flat, not a single hint of co2. Not a bottling problem by the way.

Anyone else have this same experience with these poxy cheap measures? I am using the full level scoop for my tallies and a full double scoop for my 1.5L grolsch bottles. Does this sound about right?

Cheers.

Gday all.

I purchased 1 of those cheap plastic sugar measures from CB a few weeks ago hoping that using correctly measured dextrose would possibly slightly improve my beers as opposed to those shitty coopers carb drops.

I have sinced carbed about 60 bottles over 2 separate brews using the correct measurements (according to the levels on the measure) but they ALL seem to be stupendously under-carbed.

I just tried 1 of my porters which has been on the bottle carb for the 8th day and is completely flat, not a single hint of co2. Not a bottling problem by the way.

Anyone else have this same experience with these poxy cheap measures? I am using the full level scoop for my tallies and a full double scoop for my 1.5L grolsch bottles. Does this sound about right?

Cheers.

From memory the level of dextrose required to carb is more than cane sugar (which is what those spoons are designed for). A search on this subject might unravel your problem. Also 8 days is prob a bit early to tell. Many years ago when i bottled i never opened before a month, with no issues.

how long in the bottle if its under a month dont worry they will carb up.

I thought that what the problem may be, perhaps more dextrose is needed for the same level of carbonation. But I thought 8 days would be plenty, its only a level of dextrose. Beer tastes good, not a hint of sweetness. But just bloody flat.

Ill give it another week or 2.

Even if the dose was under what it should be, it will still give some carb if everything else is as it should be. If it's completely flat, the bottles are either too cold, the yeast is dead or you simply haven't waited long enough. Gently upend each bottle, store where they will be above 16 degrees and wait.

Depends on what temperature they are stored at as to how fast they carb up.

Using dex or sugar should be close to identical as to make no big difference. I found with those little scoops you need to scoop up then tap the scoop on something solid then scoop again to get the full scoop if that makes sense.

Tip: get a very small funnel to put in the bottle necks makes priming really quick.

When I used the measurement spoon I allways thought it was over carbed using castor sugar, had to use less.

I'm putting my money on too cold like Manticle & Tropical Brews said.

I still bottle but bulk prime with dex, will never go back, allso brew mostly ales & I'm into them after 2 weeks.

I agree the measuring thingies overcarb using caster sugar. I have cut mine down, and use only 1/2 to 2/3rd of the measure for most of my beers.
Using a full measure of dex is certainly enough to give you adequate carbonation.

I think your issue are:
1. Too little time since bottling
2. Probably stored too cold

Do as manticle says, and gently upend each bottle to swirl the dex and yeast back into suspension, and wait. You'll get there.

Latest posts

Back