Planning a Mountain Goat attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zensome

Reaction score
I had a couple of friends tell me how they loved the "Rare Breed Attack of the Killer Hops IPA" from Mountain Goat, but by the time I got around to buying some it was all gone so I decided I will try and emulate this beer.

This is what I have come up with so far, being a very new brewer any thoughts, comments, suggestions or improvements before I put this down will be much appreciated.

All Grain
IPA
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 24l
Est. OG: 1.075
Est. FG: 1.016
Est. ABV: 7.82%
IBU 98.9

6.3 kg Pale 2-Row - Weyermann
470 g Carapils - Weyermann
470 g Caramunich I - Weyermann
320 g Light Crystal - GF
200 g Fresh Postmans Ridge Bush Honey

Hops

45g Amarillo - First Wort
30g Calypso - Boil 30 min
20g Chinook - Boil 30 min
20g Calypso - Boil 15 min
20g Chinook - Boil 15 min
50g Amarillo - Whirlpool 80°C 10 min
50g Calypso - Whirlpool 80°C 10 min
40g Calypso - Dry Hop day 6
50g Citra - Dry Hop day 10
40g Amarillo - Dry Hop day 14

Yeast: WLP001 or Vermont Ale (have not decided yet)

Cheers

I think you will over shoot the predicted IBU with what you have listed . I can't tell if it will be good or not how it is but I would be tempted to drop the 30min additions and move the 15min additions to 5mins.

What are information are you basing this recipe on? I mean, if you haven't tasted the beer, how do you know what you're aiming for?

Going by this PDF

http://www.goatbeer.com.au/goat-wp/...tack-of-the-Killer-Hops-IPA-Tasting-Notes.pdf

I would go with something more like this

5.0KG Pale Ale Malt
2.0KG Vienna Malt
0.4KG Carapils

20g Calypso FHW
30g Chinook 10mins
30g Citra 10mins
30g Amarillo 10mins
30g Calypso 10mins
20g Citra Whirlpool
20g Amarillo Whirlpool
20g Calypso Whirlpool
30g Citra Dry Hop
30g Amarillo Dry Hop
30g Calypso Dry Hop

2L Starter WLP001

OG 1.078
FG 1.019
ABV: 7.77%
IBU: 100
SRM: 5.31

What are information are you basing this recipe on? I mean, if you haven't tasted the beer, how do you know what you're aiming for?

Having not tasted the beer and being such a noob brewer it was just a guess, which is why I looked for help and guidance.

Going by this PDF

http://www.goatbeer.com.au/goat-wp/...tack-of-the-Killer-Hops-IPA-Tasting-Notes.pdf

I would go with something more like this

5.0KG Pale Ale Malt
2.0KG Vienna Malt
0.4KG Carapils

20g Calypso FHW
30g Chinook 10mins
30g Citra 10mins
30g Amarillo 10mins
30g Calypso 10mins
20g Citra Whirlpool
20g Amarillo Whirlpool
20g Calypso Whirlpool
30g Citra Dry Hop
30g Amarillo Dry Hop
30g Calypso Dry Hop

2L Starter WLP001

OG 1.078
FG 1.019
ABV: 7.77%
IBU: 100
SRM: 5.31

Lionman, your input is greatly appreciated, thank you. I was also unsure about the 3 dry hops whether I should;
(a) go each hop on their own at 4 day intervals, will this layer each hop profile on top of the other?
(b) divide the hops evenly 10 10 10 for 3 dry hops, will this muddle the flavors?
(c) or just put them all in at once for a single dry hop?

I am off camping tomorrow for a couple of weeks so no doubt I will be itching to brew when I get back, this will be the first beer I put down on my return.

Cheers

I would put them all in at the same time. This will reduce the risk of infection and oxidisation when opening the fermenter. And because I'm lazy...

I have never tried complex dry hopping schedules so I'm not sure how much of a difference they make.

Latest posts

Back