pitching 2 different yeasts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickymac

Reaction score
so am just about to put down a morgans blue mountains lager with 500g dme, 250g dextrose and 250g maltodextrin, have a stash of hops im going to add, not sure what to use just yet, no access to temp control or anything, also have a spare us05 yeast as well as the yeast that came under lid of tin
my q is, what would happen if i pitched both the tin yeast and the us05 yeast.... and also, would i want to do this at all?
sorry for noob q just wondering
cheers

If I were in your shoes, I would just pitch the us05 yeast as it doesn't look like an overly heavy beer, though follow the manufacturers instructions and do your best to ferment as close to 18C as you can, maybe do a search on "swamp cooler" and temp control on here. You want it to be stable too, which a water / Ice bath or insulation can help with.

Some people might recommend boiling the kit yeast so as to turn it into more of a yeast nutrient for your 05, I would usually just hang onto it - it is always handy to keep around some spare yeast in case you get a stuck ferment.

I use Danstar more often who recommend to rehydrate, though I don't know if that is best for Safale

Hya mate, you really only want to pitch 2 different strains for a specific reason,

for example, Ive been fermenting a large beer (~%12-%15) Ive started it off with 2 x T-58 which took it from ~1095 to 1040, at that point I added a super high gravity yeast that can handle high alc environment and then fed it Candi sugar and dex/DME. In theory, I will get the flavour and esters development from the early part of the ferment but the SHG Yeast will do the bulk of the work to eat the rest of the sugars and get it to terminal gravity.

Theres no reason not to blend yeats but you need to ask yourself what you want out of it. Hope that makes sense to you.

Cheers

pat86 said:
I use Danstar more often who recommend to rehydrate, though I don't know if that is best for Safale
Slightly OT, but I do rehydrate both Fermentis (Saf-ale/brew/lager yeasts) and Danstar (Lallemand).

US05 is a big beneficiary of it - I get a decent krausen and quicker, cleaner ferment with it, especially if I want to brew at lower temps for that purpose. Have also done so for T-58, S04.

Only pitch 1. If you can hold it around 18 nicely then use the us05 and you will get the best possible from it. It the temperature is likely to fluctuate up to 22 then I would use the kit yeast.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Slightly OT, but I do rehydrate both Fermentis (Saf-ale/brew/lager yeasts) and Danstar (Lallemand).

US05 is a big beneficiary of it - I get a decent krausen and quicker, cleaner ferment with it, especially if I want to brew at lower temps for that purpose. Have also done so for T-58, S04.
Cool I'm probably on team re-hydrate but didn't want to start that good old debate and I also don't have much experience with saf personally. I'm sure people have done side-by-sides.

Whatever happens trickymac - do not worry about airlock activity!

Back