Pitchable Cider Slants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevnlis

Reaction score
Right, I have finally broken the bank and lashed out on some OzTops to make cider. I want to be able to use a proper liquid cider yeast, but it's a lot of expense and work for >2L batches.

I was thinking of making something similar to the whitelabs pitchable which contains all the nutrient the yeast needs and a population of yeast which is substantial enough to ferment the batch quickly and effectively.

I have access to a clean lab, autoclave, and all other necessary equipment one could dream of.

My question is, what do you guys reckon would be the best way to go about making the pitchable vials? How long would/could/should they last if kept in the fridge? I only drink 1 bottle of cider per night, so I will not need to use them very often (somewhere around 1.5 batches per week). Viability and stability of storage is the most important thing here.

According to Mr Malty you would need 5 mL of a thick yeast slurry to pitch directly into 2L of 1.048 wort (apple juice).

You could use sample vial with this much yeast, add a pinch of yeast nutrient.

Are you using cider yeast or the stuff that comes with the oztops gear? Could you make a decent starter using apple juice and nutrient and then spilt into 5mL lots?

Assuming you are using 2L bottles of apple juice then just pitch the vial, shake the hell out of the bottle till your arm damn near drops off and you are done.

Yeah thats about the same idea I had Doc. I was thinking of getting a smack pack of cider yeast, growing it up in some apple juice with yeast extract and zinc. Then I would centrifuge the yeast out in little vials, pour off the majority of the liquid, resuspend the yeast, add more yeast extract and zinc and then refrigerate til needed.

I guess they would last just as long as the White Labs pitchables? So if I use 1.5 per week, and they will last ~3 months. If I make 20 vials that should be sufficient. If I stick to 4 generations I only need 1 smackpack per year!

Back