Pitch The Entire Starter Or Just The Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll be making a Coopers Pale Ale Clone following AndrewQLD's recipe here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=483
Right now I have about 2.5l of starter cultured from CPA stubbies then stepped up from 100ml, to 500ml and then 1l.
It tastes fine and its bubbling away well on the stir-plate - almost popping-off the aluminum foil flask cap - so the yeast seems to be doing well.

However, I'm concerned that pitching 2.5l of starter (100g DME in 1l water) may impact the taste/results of the recipe, since in volume it will be about 10% of the total.
What is the usual practice, when using large volume starters?
Does everyone pitch the entire starter wort/yeast/and all or should I cold-crash the starter to drop the yeast out and just pitch the resulting slurry ... or something else?

I myself crash chill and pour off most of the unwanted liquid.

Franko

starter of that size i crash chill and pitch just the yeast slurry.

Exception to the rule is if im doing a lager. I make the starter from the wort (i no chill all batches). I keep the remaining wort (19L~) in the cube and put it into the fridge.

then once the starter is at the hieght of activity, i pitch the whole thing.

Yep i'd crash chill and pitch slurry also,I also do the same for lagers now,just much bigger starters

Latest posts

Back