Pitch into bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
I have a rather large Belgian (12%) that is struggling to carbonate.
I know it fully attenuated and I added the appropriate amount of sugars but to this point (3mths) epic fail on carbonation. It tastes incredible but a little heavy on the pallet so some bubbles and head would really make this shine. I bottled this in 450ml grolsch bottles so my questions are could I open and hit with a bit of yeast and reseal and if so how much and what strain I have a clean wash of 05 but I don't think it will tolerate the alcohol. I was thinking some where around 0.5 to 1ml of fresh yeast.

Thoughts advice welcome

MB

You could probably get some SN9 dry yeast from Brewcraft that would do the job. Its a fairly clean yeast which will go to 18% and is recommended for restarting stuck ferments.

My concern would be that your bottles will gush when you sprinkle a few grains of yeast into them. Wouldn't gush if they're completely flat though. If they do gush you will need to get a second person to close them quick smart.

Im going to do the same with a Barlywine Ive got, tried one the other day (aged a few months) and its not up to apr

Im either going to step up a Lager yeast as they can consume sugars an ale yeast wont or step up some WLP099 High gravity open, add 1-2ml and seal.. Thinking the Lager yeast might be better suited but I too am worried about the Alc %

ec 1118 is what i use. high alcohol and ph tolerance.

1118 is v phenolic so be aware of that.

1116 also known as K1 is another you could try but I found the malt sweetness comes through too much with that strain. Probably not an issue though if its not used for the whole ferment.

I've used SN9 for a whole ferment and its the one I would recommend if you want to go the dry yeast option.

If using a lager yeast and it managed to chew through a lot of sugars it might not leave much head. I thought lager yeast were the opposite and didn't eat all the sugar.

Thanks guys, think I'll go down the same path as Yob, though it may be an online order, not sure if WLP099 is stocked locally. Let you know how this turns out in a month or two.

MB

Latest posts

Back