Perth water chemistry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun07

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I have done a couple of extract brews now and want to try my first A/G brew but what I don’t understand is the water chemistry yet. I have looked up perths water quality results from the water corp but I don’t understand most of it. So basically what I’m needing help with is, does anyone have water quality results for Perth ( in simple terms for me to understand)and some help understanding which stuff to put in roughly( I know this is unique to each location). I have tried putting what I think is correct in brew father but I’m totally not sure about it. I have found a thing called bru’n water which I think could be useful but I need the results to enter in the table in the picture. I have watched so many videos and read a bunch of stuff but it’s not clicking for me so any help would be massively appreciated

Cheers Tim

Attachments

• 39D91299-D992-409E-85F6-F2E661B43FFA.jpeg
    39D91299-D992-409E-85F6-F2E661B43FFA.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 0
I've had a look at the Perth water authority website, and can't find much useful detail about the makeup up your water for brewing.
Personally, I use the tool in BeerSmith3, and the following are the details you need to obtain:
Water for Brewing.jpg
In the past, I wrote a letter to my then local Authority, and requested them to provide me with these details. You'll find if you explain why you need them, they'll be happy to provide them for you in either ppm or mg/l (they are the same thing).
Once you have those details of your base water, then you can adjust according you the style you wish to brew, using your brewing software.
Of course, if you put your water through a carbon filter or the like, the base figures will change, but at my previous place I had a specific analysis done of my filtered water, but that can be a bit expensive.
Good luck.
Do any Perth brewers in your local area have any details they can share?

I would still brew while waiting on an answer.
If you start with a Campden tablet this will help strip your water of what is cleaning it.

I brewed a few AG beers before attempting to adjust my water, Melbourne water is low on minerals.

Ca will help,
Mg dont worry to much,
Na salt yeh whatever,
S04 to Ci hoppy or malty basically. No minerals = malty.
HC03 Alkalinity residual Alk is what is needed.

Adjust Ph and see what happens.

Found this https://cdn.imagearchive.com/aussie...--9462347-v1-DWQ-Data-Sheet-Wanneroo-2013.PDF

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles

Perth Foothills 2019
Ca+2Mg+2Na+Cl-SO4-2AlkalinitypH
225961551870 (HCO3)7.6
Water Corp
Perth Hills Direct 2019
20359981153 (HCO3)7.6
Water Corp
Perth, Au (Bold Park supply)
102701102064 (CaCO3)7.9
Drinking Water Quality Perth & WA | Water Quality Testing & More

Last edited:
Thanks for the help mate I’ll maybe ring the local water company and ask for some advice on interpreting the sample

I would still brew while waiting on an answer.
If you start with a Campden tablet this will help strip your water of what is cleaning it.

I brewed a few AG beers before attempting to adjust my water, Melbourne water is low on minerals.

Ca will help,
Mg dont worry to much,
Na salt yeh whatever,
S04 to Ci hoppy or malty basically. No minerals = malty.
HC03 Alkalinity residual Alk is what is needed.

Adjust Ph and see what happens.

Found this https://cdn.imagearchive.com/aussie...--9462347-v1-DWQ-Data-Sheet-Wanneroo-2013.PDF
Ok I will look at maybe trying out a few brews while I’m sorting it out thanks heaps for the help

Latest posts

Back