Perlick Flow Control Taps - All Foam Wtf?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought we were talking about flow control taps.
Mmmm, if you need to know about the above set up SEND a PM to the person who put this option onto this thread and keep this thread on topic or as close as we can.

Cheers
Sheesh, it was my thread but I really don't mind other stuff getting into the conversation.
Nick's setup looks pretty good and I imagine is heaps cheaper than what I've just done.

I believe the problem is solved!

A trick that Cocko told me, is for your first pour on a tap, do it at a trickle... just to chill the tap, then let it go as desired.
I had tried this initially before I changed the shanks, made no difference.
But now with good shanks, this little trick does prevent the initial bit of excess foam and wasted beer.
Start with just a dribble, after maybe 10 secs or so the tap has cooled down enough and you can gradually open the flow to "normal" for a perfect pour.

Thanks to all for your advice and especially to Ross for the personal service.

I can move my flow controllers through the whole range of positions on all four taps, ie. from facing forwards and down, through vertical, to backwards and down.

Can anyone else do this? From what I've read it seems like everyone can only get one half of the range once the taps are hooked up.

I'm starting to wonder if I've done something wrong, but I can't really see much room for error in the process of screwing a tap onto a shank.

Just a thought but I had similar problems with Celli taps, what it ended up being (for probably no good reason), I had put 90 Deg. elbows after the shank. Foam everywhere.

Removed the elbows, made no change to anything else, including Gas, problem solved.

Not knowing your setup it's worth a thought.

I just fit my 545pc flow control taps tonight. Was so happy to get them but all I got was foam. My plastic Pluto tap was fine. I will try some of the tips here and report back. BTW I am using a keezer with a collar and a fan so the taps should stay cool.

Well I am having round two and still all foam. Three pints in and getting quite happy. Trap is icy cold and beer line is about 70cm.

Pics below.

Please give advice!

IMG_20130322_193022_resize_20130322_193820.jpg

IMG_20130322_193037_resize_20130322_193821.jpg

IMG_20130322_193059_resize_20130322_193822.jpg

My collar is about the same height as yours and I find that the taps don't really stay cool enough. Unless the tap has been used in the last 10 minutes or so, I need to do what has been mentioned by others here - start with the flow controller fully closed, open it a touch and let a bit of beer trickle through until the tap has cooled, then start opening it up to your desired flow.

Edak said:
Well I am having round two and still all foam. Three pints in and getting quite happy. Trap is icy cold and beer line is about 70cm.

Pics below.

Please give advice!
Edak, i just sent you a pm.

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
Edak, i just sent you a pm.

Cheers Ross
Cheers Ross, i got your message but only just got home now. I tried yet again and really let it run slowly, got it really cold and dialled it up a bit more.

Great pour! Don't know what i was doing wrong but tonight i feel like a king :)

It was really slow though...

Back