PBW instructions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamM

Reaction score
So, after QldKev decided to pull me up on my blog post, I am going to ask the questions here and see if I can get some answers so that I can update the post.

My PBW container says "multiple brew cleaning" when discussing the dosage rates, can anyone explain exactly what is meant by that?

My guess is use it to clean more than one brew vessel. So once you've cleaned one vessel pour into into another etc etc. It can generally be re-used until its full of gunk and debris.

I don't know the answer, but I've contacted 5 Star through their website before with a Starsan question, and they were happy to reply. Apparently they have a long list of FAQ's, and it doesn't take long to get a response if you ask one of them.

For what it's worth, I recall hearing in the past about being able to make up a batch and keep re-using it, so that would be my guess.

pbw is approx 2/3 sodium percarbonate, when added to water it breaks down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide

its the hydrogen peroxide we benefit from as it breaks down to oxygen and water

after some time, (possibly a day or so if i remember hearing the 5 star podcast correctly), all the oxygen has been released and you will lose the effectiveness of the product

so whilst you can re-use the product, you wont have the benefit of the available oxygen, thereby considerably reducing the effectiveness of the product for cleaning

I store it in an empty keg and add some new sodium percarb to clean my brewery, which has usually already been rinsed with water.

Latest posts

Back