Pastic Bottle Bomb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever had a Pastic Bottle Bomb?

• Sure have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yup, but I was doing something stupid (100gm of sugar per bottle etc etc)

• Yup, but it was a softdrink bottle

• Nope, those buggers are indestructible

• Total voters

phinnsfotos

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has actually got a PET bottle to blow.

For fairly stupid reasons I managed to double bulk prime a lemonade. I haven't lost a bottle yet, and I'm actually enjoying the very high carbonation with the lemonade.

Cheers,
Finn.

yep have witnessed the ass blow out of a plastic coopers 750ml. was camping with big barra just before the winter case swap @ rooks...we had 10 swap cases to take with us and heard a tiny pffffft from somewhere, searched through the swaps and found a plastic 750ml bottle with it bottom clean off so it can happen. still no where near as dangerous as glass as it didnt shatter what so ever.

Someone here had a pet blow on him while he was force carbing it, or something like that. It could be in the Balls Up thread?

Sort of.
The bottle did not destruct, but first the dimple in the bottom goes from an innie to an outie, then the lid gives way. Once the dimple turns into an outie, it will no longer stand on a flat surface.
No where near as destructive and dangerous as glass.

Years ago I used to bottle into PET softdrink bottles that were clear PET on the top but they had a rounded bottom - so to make them stand up they had a thick black plastic cup glued to the bottom. You might remember them.

I had one of them turn into a balloon. It didn't pop, but you'd be amazed how much the PET can stretch.

However ... this is fin and I highly recommend it to anyone out there who is into scuba: get a 1.25L PET bottle and squeeze as much air out of it as possible. Jam it in your BCD pocket if big enough (or tie it to your gear). When you are down below about 25m, fill it up with your reg and cap it. First, making sure there is no one in the collumn of water above you - let it go and watch it.

BOOOOOOOOOM!

I remember a few years ago someone posted a story where a PET bottle had exploded in their fridge and "shards" of plastic were embedded quite deep in the inside walls of the fridge, (There may have been photo's as well from memory). Scared me at the time and I have given the plastic as much respect as glass ever since.....

have not had one YET but almost did..

i put my latest batch of ginger beer into a jerry can and pitched a yeast pack. left it for 2 weeks. thought it was done the capped it.

came back 2 days later it had blown up like a balloon. if i left it a few more days i may have taken out a wall.(or the car)

Yeah, had one. The cap gave way rather than the bottle.

Same here .. was a 3 litre Coke bottle ... covered the laundry ceiling in Ginger Beer ... we heard a boom & went in to the laundry ... it was like it was raining Ginger Beer.

When I was a kid my dad made homemade ginger beer and bottled it in PET - with ali lids. Several times over the years we had prematurely bottled ginger beer gush when the pressure stripped the thread off the lid. Including when visiting friends in a rental house. The ginger beer hit the ceiling then spread out and dripped down the walls.

It's not so surprising - it was a recipe where you boil up lemon and ginger, dissolve sugar, pitch [bread] yeast, bottle then fridge after a day on the bench, so obviously the degree of carbonation depended on the temperature on the bench, etc.

T.

I've had 3 go. I went camping when i was 15 and we took some coopers pets with us. When we were packing up my mate dropped one and it shattered. And another one whilt on the trip got dropped and exploded beer everywhere. IIRC the second one actually shot like a bottle rocket. these were in the days when i thought if i added extra sugar at carbonation that i would make it way more alcoholic, so they were probably very overprimed.

The other one was recently. I was fermenting an experimental batch in a 3L bottle. I had been leaving the lid slightly open so that the co2 could get out. It was fermenting really hard so i had to open it to let extra out. When i closed it i thought i had left it unscrewed enough for gas to get out, i was mistaken, it split and sent beer everywhere.

So all mine are from being stupid.

The only time I've seen one go was when we put half a cup of water and a few pellets of dry ice into one :D
Makes one hell of a bang when they go off.
Bottle shatters into tiny pieces and can be heard for miles.
Good fun but be careful and stand WELL back. :excl:

Cheers,
Creedy

Never had it happen with beer, but one blew up in my face when playing around with liquid Nitrogen. That wasn't fun...

When I was at HS we used to put hydrochloric acid and then al foil into them, goes off with a mighty bang.

Back