Partially Filling Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LethalCorpse

Reaction score
Are there any major problems with underfilling kegs? For example, if the biggest batch you can brew on your rig (without shooting high and watering down) is 30L, are there any issues with then putting this batch in a 50L keg? Will it present difficulties for any of the standard carbing methods? Will it use more gas? I can't see that it would be a problem, but what haven't I considered?

I would assume:

Carbonation:

Natural - Just adjust your additions to suit that volume

Forced - This shouldnt "over carb" as you are aiming for a certain pressure, this would be the same if it was full or half but achieving such a pressure should be quicker with a half full keg

Dispensing:

It shouldnt use any more gas than you would use with a full keg, actually in theory i would assume it would be the same as you would just be filling the void earlier rather than later.

The only problem I can see is that if you don't purge the keg properly you will have a greater effect from oxidisation as there will be a greater amount of "air" in the keg. Just burp the keg properly to overcome this.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Pok

I put 16L into a corny .My first AG . miscalculations everywhere for volumes .Anyway must be about to run out and its still great . Fill away and burp . Just emagine you've drunk half and away you go .

Like a number of brewers on here I put leftovers into a keg partially filling it. Once full the keg is carbonated and served as any other, no probs.

Latest posts

Back