Partial Mash Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primusbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am just trying to finalise a recipe for a Bohemian pilsner. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Here is what I have so far:

1.50 kg Coopers Light Liquid Extract (3.4 SRM) Extract 35.7 %
2.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 59.5 %
0.10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.10 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
40.00 gm Saaz [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager

I will make it up to 23 litres. I am not sure whether I will be using saaz as the bittering hop. I will wait until I go buy the hops and see what the AA% is. What alternatives would you recommend?

Would a small amount of crystal or any other specialty grains go well in this? Will the Cara-Pils and Vienna be ok?

Thanks,

Jesse

Hey guys,

I am just trying to finalise a recipe for a Bohemian pilsner. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Here is what I have so far:

1.50 kg Coopers Light Liquid Extract (3.4 SRM) Extract 35.7 %
2.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 59.5 %
0.10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.10 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
40.00 gm Saaz [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager

I will make it up to 23 litres. I am not sure whether I will be using saaz as the bittering hop. I will wait until I go buy the hops and see what the AA% is. What alternatives would you recommend?

Would a small amount of crystal or any other specialty grains go well in this? Will the Cara-Pils and Vienna be ok?

Thanks,

Jesse
You could try Perle (~6%) or Northern Brewer (~9%) as bittering hops, they are both noble. My last pilsner was an Urqeull clone, turned out nicely using Wyeast Czech Pils and I used all Saaz up to 38IBU. It was my first attempt at FWH (first wort hopping), basically add your first hops into the kettle just before you start your 1st runnings. Hard to tell whether it made any difference or not.

DrSmurto made a great bo-pils for the sa christmas case last year.

100%pils, 100% saaz.

here's the recipe ...

25L, eff 70%, OG 1.052, IBU 40.2

6.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
100.00 gm Saaz [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 29.8 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (40 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.5 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Budvar Lager (Wyeast Labs #2000) [Starter 5000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Hi Braufrau,

I only have the ability to mash around 3kg of grain with my current equipment. With your recipe could I just replace 3kg of the Pilsner malt with an equivalent amount of light malt extract?

Entirely up to you but I'd just go with 3 kg Pils and the liquid malt. My first partial was a pilsener with straight pils malt, liquid malt and saaz all the way through and it was very nice.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Braufrau,

I only have the ability to mash around 3kg of grain with my current equipment. With your recipe could I just replace 3kg of the Pilsner malt with an equivalent amount of light malt extract?

Yep. And if you do a half sized boil and add the extract at the end, you use exactly the same amount of hops.

I'd add some melanoiden in there too, maybe 300g.
Haven't used it in partials but it works great in AG when I'm lazy and just do an infusion mash.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Rough60, why would adding melanoiden be beneficial?

It gives flavours like a decoc. mash, with having to do one.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back