Over Gassed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavemaker

Reaction score
Gooday folks. My first post here I think. I joined some time ago but got lost in transit. I brewed and bottled beer for many years, making the odd foray into trying different yeasts and malts hops etc. I still have my converted Tooheys stainless steel keg. Used to get about 110 long necks at a time. I was never drinking green beer. That was about 12/13 yrs ago. I have just started brewing again and have set myself up with a draught outfit. keg, gas bottle and regulators.
First up I used a Morgans kit, their royal amber ale with a dextrose, malt and corn syrup adjunct. I used the English ale yeast but did not add hops. Long story short it was effin magnificent. It gassed up well and poured like a Killkenny and tasted even better. Fantastic. Next up I thought I would give a Tooheys Old clone a go. Been a favourite of mine for a long time. It fermented out at around 18/20 degrees and tested out at 1005 for 3 days before I put it in a jerry can in the fridge. A few days later I kegged the cold brew and gassed it up. I could not get it to hold the gas and it just kept pouring flat. A mate came over and showed me how he gassed his and I know that he always has very fine ale on tap. Now it appears to be over gassed. I have been releasing gas through the blow off valve on the keg for 2 days now and nothing seems to be working. The brew tastes fine, I just have to pour it into a long glass and let it settle. Could any one come up with an answer to this riddle or just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Gooday folks. My first post here I think. I joined some time ago but got lost in transit. I brewed and bottled beer for many years, making the odd foray into trying different yeasts and malts hops etc. I still have my converted Tooheys stainless steel keg. Used to get about 110 long necks at a time. I was never drinking green beer. That was about 12/13 yrs ago. I have just started brewing again and have set myself up with a draught outfit. keg, gas bottle and regulators.
First up I used a Morgans kit, their royal amber ale with a dextrose, malt and corn syrup adjunct. I used the English ale yeast but did not add hops. Long story short it was effin magnificent. It gassed up well and poured like a Killkenny and tasted even better. Fantastic. Next up I thought I would give a Tooheys Old clone a go. Been a favourite of mine for a long time. It fermented out at around 18/20 degrees and tested out at 1005 for 3 days before I put it in a jerry can in the fridge. A few days later I kegged the cold brew and gassed it up. I could not get it to hold the gas and it just kept pouring flat. A mate came over and showed me how he gassed his and I know that he always has very fine ale on tap. Now it appears to be over gassed. I have been releasing gas through the blow off valve on the keg for 2 days now and nothing seems to be working. The brew tastes fine, I just have to pour it into a long glass and let it settle. Could any one come up with an answer to this riddle or just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

How are you gassing it? What pressure are you serving at? Sounds like its a balancing issue to me.

Sounds like it's over-carbed given your previous beer poured fine with the same setup.

Burping it every few hours over a couple of days should fix it...did you take it out of the fridge to do that?
CO2 will be released from the beer as the temperature rises to room temp.

Can you see any small bubbles appearing in the beer line down near the disconnect??
Or is the beer line solid liquid?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. I persisted with the releasing of gas and finally got it going ok. In answer to jakethesnake559 yes there were air bubbles at both ends of the product line. Is this significant? Thanks again for your interest and help.

Latest posts

Back