Optimum FG for belgian strong ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
What would be the optimum FG for a Belgian strong ale, it started at 1082 and is now sitting at 1010 I used M27 yeast and it's been 6 days I sat it at 24 deg for the first 4 days and 28 for the last 2 should I crash chill it now or let it go as low as possible I think I can get a few more points out of it?

Anthony

FWIW, an 82% attenuation (which seems about right for other saison strains) would give you FG = 1.013 (i think) for a sacch mash at 65°C.
So if you're at 1.010 for the last 6 days, you should be at FG, but it depends heavily on what your main sacch rest was during your mash as to what your expected FG *should* be.
Holding it for 6 days would suggest it's hit the FG, but if you're really in doubt you could keep it at 28°C for a bit longer and stir the FV a bit - i personally wouldn't, but if you're a little paranoid you could. I'd be surprised if you're gonna get more points out of it.
So basically, it's chill time, baby!!

NB: i'm trying m27 for the first time as we speak, so i don't have any experience with the specific yeast. Hopefully others will chime in.

Back