Olive Oil Storage Tank as Fermenter - Need to do anything?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
So I just ordered one of the 30L olive oil tanks to use as a fermenter last night from 'the olive centre' (who dropped their price after i ordered it..hopefully as it hasnt shipped they will honour the current price)

Anyway, I digress

Do I need to do anything special with regards to cleaning and prep when using a stainless steel olive oil container as a fermenter?
Passivation etc?
or just give it a clean with something like sodium perc, sanitise with starsan and away I go?

Thanks

I use a couple of them as fermenters.

I used boiling water and napisan followed by boiling water and starsan.

I fitted a 1/2" stainless ball valve on each of mine and I use a 1/2" poly 90 deg elbow which I screw into each ball valve when I need to sample or drain.

I drilled the lid to take a grommet for an air lock and another hole the same size for a thermowell from Beerbelly.
You dont need this if you chose to use glad wrap instead of the lid....the o ring that comes with the unit is ideal as a glad wrap seal.

IMO best fermenters I have ever used.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing SBOB :beer:

How much were they SBOB ?

The 30l olive oil container with tap was about $180 shipped

good prices but I checked the dimensions on my fridge and it wont fit in, they are rounder that the ones we sourced in the bulk buy a while back... sadly.. I would have snapped a couple up if they would fit in the fridge

I have four of these I use as fermenters, you'll be very happy with it. I did not need to do anything with it when mine arrived, I have nice little ball values that fit the tank as I didn't want to go the 1/2" value with added nipples etc, just another place for infections to hide IMO.

Batz

SBOB, Maybe hot wash with TSP (trisodium phosphate/ sugar soap) initially to remove all travel grime, and then rinse/sanitise/beer.

QldKev, the 50 litre is 50cm round and may not fit most fridges. My fridge won't close with it on the lower shelf, even with the door trays removed.

QldKev said:
also noticed the 50L is about the same price :)
I was close to getting the 50lt jobs as I brew 50lts plus, I was worried about my poor old back. Besides I like to brew a batch and then pitch two different yeasts.
My oil drums came from http://winequip.com.au very happy with the product and the service. The 30lt and 50lt from Winequip are of a smaller diameter.

Batz

Anyone who has one of these. Could you tell me if you can add a bazooka screen internally?

jonnir said:
Anyone who has one of these. Could you tell me if you can add a bazooka screen internally?
Why would you want a bazooka on a fermenter? but if you did I guess you could.

These look alright,shouldn't be too hard to knock up a stand for it with wheels,hook it up to a pump so no lifting is required then transfer to a keg and your good to go.

Caustic soda would root out every last trace. Use cold, wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. Rinse well.

Trisodium phosphate (TSP) or sodium carbonate (washing soda, maybe available at supermarkets) will work, but use hot water, give it soaking and swirling time and use more than one treatment. Theyj're not nearly as causric as caustic soda, but the gloves and glasses are still a good idea.

Soidum percarbonate costs a lot more than sodium carbonate and is no better for the job you have in mind. It is what many people, including me, use to clean trub and caked crap out of used fermenters.

Napisan is sodium percarbonate + detergents and perfume. It will do the job, but use hot water and at least two treatments. Then rinse many times to get out the additives.

If you have a pioneer spirit, an old country cleaner is made by mixing water with wood ashes and then decantilng, whirlpoolimng or filtering. You get a murky solution of potassium carbonate, second only to caustic soda for removing food oils and grease.

Distilled vinergar neutralizegs all of the above. Use on contaminated skin and diluted as a first rinse after treatment.

Latest posts

Back