Oktober Long Brew Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow 3kg of rauch.
my first smoked was a porter using 250g of rauch to get a feel for it.went down real well.
this was about what i was recomended to try give or take a bit to try the smokiness without over powering the beer until you get a taste for this malt.

try about 100grams upwards first up gl to see what you think and adjust from there.
roach dont know how much if any smokiness you will achieve from 20 grams.hope you can taste it but it does come down to your tastes in the end.im happy with 250g as a starting point and over time will up the amount.

hope to put down an octoberfest soon as my yeast arrives.
batz has kindly given me his smoked oktoberfest recipe to try.already tried one of these from batz so im hanging out to put one down.may just make the end of october at this rate <_<

cheers
big d

Doc said:
I guess you are using Wyeast 3787 ?
I've used this yeast a few times and she is a beaut. In fact I found two old starters from two years ago in the yeast fridge last night. Made up a starter solution for them to see if they were still alive and they are kicking in already (better than the new hefeweizen yeast they are sitting next too).
But back to your recipe. Not sure about the cherries, but dump the chocolate and crystal malts and use 500gr of Billingtons Dark Muscovado Sugar.

Beers,
Doc
Thanks Doc. Yep 3787, presuming my starter cranks up ok from goat's sample.

What do you reckon... replace the kg of dex with 500g dex and 500g muscovado?

And maybe the cherries are best kept until I know the flavour of this yeast without this kind of adjunct.

big d said:
my first smoked was a porter using 250g of rauch to get a feel for it.went down real well.
this was about what i was recomended to try give or take a bit to try the smokiness without over powering the beer until you get a taste for this malt.

try about 100grams upwards first up gl to see what you think and adjust from there.
roach dont know how much if any smokiness you will achieve from 20 grams.hope you can taste it but it does come down to your tastes in the end.im happy with 250g as a starting point and over time will up the amount.
I used 500g of hoepfner smoked malt mashed with 700g of JW Trad and brewed with a Coopers Old Dark kit.

I found it to be too smoky for my tastes for a long time. After 6 months it was quite nice. After 9 months I only had a few bottles left but they were beautiful.

If I did it again, I would use the full 500g again. I have a feeling I would enjoy that smokiness more now. And if not, I would hide them and forget them; it was worth the wait last time.

Talking 23lt batches here

I did an Oktoberfest with 150gm , very nice
A porter with 300 gm , nice but a little smokie for me
I think 150gm to 200 gm is enough

Couple of smokie oktoberfests coming down your way for the Xmas hamper Simon

Nice work Batz, send em on down. I am on a mission to try various other peoples smokies and then brew one perfect to my taste first time round.

Deebee how old was your smokie when I tried it at my brew day? Seemed pretty subtle then, but perhaps my palate (and the rest of me) was a bit jaded by that point.

deebee said:
What do you reckon... replace the kg of dex with 500g dex and 500g muscovado?

And maybe the cherries are best kept until I know the flavour of this yeast without this kind of adjunct.
Sounds good to me.

3kg DME
1.5 kg Liquid Wheat Extract
500g Dextrose
500g Dark Muscovado

Some noble hops to balance it a little and it will be a great drop.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
So who is brewing what this weekend ?
I will be "testing" :chug: a Dunkelweizen, racking an Irish Stout and bottling an IPA over the weekend... :p
Cheers,
TL

Haven't used this thing before. Hope the message gets through.
What's all this smiley stuff?

Anyway Doc there is a bl_ody good reason not to be brewin this w'end.....
What about OKTOBERFEST out at Fairfield Showground this weekend.

WHAT? You haven't heard!

Have a look at:
www.germanaustriansoc.com.au/Oktoberfest.html

I know you like to multi-task, but I'd like to see you do that one :)

OTOH: I guess the way to go would be to mash you heart out on Sat, Oktoberfest on Sunday, the spend Sunday trying to gather up the brain cells.

Have fun mate,
Pete

I reckon a pilot brew could be fitted in on Monday. Have to get in & clean up the garage. Actually I have lived here almost a year & haven't christened the garage yet, as I always brew either at the shop or the brewery. My wife wants me to try and fit the car in the garage, it is an interesting idea. I have some of the new Powell's Pilsner & Munich malt to try so I will use that and with the same hopping regime I use on my current Pilsner & see what happens. I might do a split batch, with my current fav yeast & the yeast most likely to used in a few batches time.
I guess we will just have to see how much cleaning Janelle gets done in the garage on Sunday!

Of course if I win Powerball on Thursday night then I will be playing golf.

Hope it was a sucessful brewing w/end for all :) I managed to get my two brews down with no hickups. (I found that I deleted a lot of my brewing sessions when I reinstalled windows :angry: but not all was lost). Picked up a bag of marris otter pale to use in my ESB so I will be interesed to contrast it with the past few with have been with IMC.

Hope it went as well elsewhere :)

I got my two brews down too.
Imperial Pilsner and Belgian Smoked Wheat (was to be a Smoked Dunkelweizen but my WLP300 starter was very lazy and didn't get going so I pictched the Wyeast 3787 Belgian High Gravity yeast instead).

Did you get yours brewed Gerard ?

Beers,
Doc

Good Day
Brewed the Bohemian Pils and the Helles yesterday, the last lagers for this year due to rising temps. Hope to brew an APA and Steam beer (OK it will be the last lager) tomorrow. Gee it felt great brewing on such a great day. Good for the soul.
All the best, Barry.

Got a english bitter done. With 3 beers in the fermentor (and an experiement in my starter flask) I've run out of fermenters. My have to get some more. Learning to brew is fun.

Doc
I came close. I got the boiler out , filled it with water, got it very hot, threw in a bit of caustic and spent the day cleaning valves for the new micro @ The Macquarie Hotel.
This week I will be doing a double batch of Choc Porter @ Paddy's, so maybe next week I will have another go at brewing at home.Maybe.
Gerard

I brewed 40L of what was meant to be an American Pale Ale but the 400g of crystal rye turned it into an American Amber.

OG 1050 (got 1052) IBU 60 (but a bit higher probably--slight interruption to the brewday made tha boil longer than planned)

200g of Amarillo pellets added at various stages: 60, 30, 15, 15 and o minutes, reckon the whole suburb knew I was brewing :)

Pitched 15L with Saisson (sachet swelled by itself) 25l with Nottingham

Jovial Monk

Back