Oatmeal extra pale ale extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeymagik

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew this extract recipe I converted from an all grain one and I'm just not sure it will work. I'll be doing as a stove top with a grain bag.
  • 1.5 kg Coopers light malt extract
  • 1.5 kg Coopers wheat malt extract
  • 200g crystal malt
  • 400g rolled oats (from the pantry)
  • 200g dextrose (to bring the gravity up)
  • hops:
    • 20g Citra @20 min
    • 20g Amarillo @15 min
    • 20 Citra @10 min
    • 20 Amarillo @5 min
    • 40g Citria steep
    • 40g Amarillo steep
    • 40g Citra dry hop
    • safale S04 yeast
I've read when using oats you need a base malt. Should I put 400g of wheat or pale malt grain in the steep? maybe less oats? I'm also wondering whether run of the mill Uncle Tobys or Woolworths oats are OK for home brewing.

Other options I'm thinking of:
  • dialing the hops back a bit (although i do like a hoppy beer)
  • adding another grain like Carared to make it more of a hoppy red oat ale

You should do a mini-mash of wheat or pale malt with the rolled oats. If you don't, you are just releasing starches into the brew which will cause haze (not really an issue with stouts) but more importantly, a great food source for bacterial infections.
Any rolled oats are fine as they have been pre-gelatinised by the manufacturer. They steam the oats and push them through heated rollers to make the flakes.

Here is a reasonable set of instructions for mini-mashing BYO Partial Mash Worth having a read through.
I would probably want to do a Glucanase rest then a Scarification rest which will require you to do a mash in to hit your first temperature, a rest, then careful addition of boiling water to get to your second temperature, just make sure you have room in your mash tun (I think a 6-pack esky would be pretty ideal).

You will need another 600g of base malt (minimum), that will bump your gravity up, so you might be able to drop the dextrose, will probably push your OG a bit higher than target but not heaps.
Mark

Thanks, reckon this will do the trick:
  • 3 kg Coopers light malt extract
  • 400g wheat malt
  • 400g rolled oats (from the pantry)
  • 200g crystal malt
  • hops:
    • 20g Citra @20 min
    • 20g Amarillo @15 min
    • 20 Citra @10 min
    • 20 Amarillo @5 min
    • 40g Citria steep
    • 40g Amarillo steep
    • 40g Citra dry hop
  • safale S04 yeast
Just means I'll need to wait until the LHBS opens on Monday and brew it next weekend.

Latest posts

Back