Nooh Hygrometer Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger11

Reaction score
Sorry if this is too basic - but I am homebrewing for the first time.

I am using a basic Coopers Microbrew simple little kit that came with Hygrometer.

Here is where I'm at :

11/9/09 Mixed it all up and started it fermenting - 1036 SG
22/9/09 1019 SG
23/9/09 1016 SG
24/9/09 1014 SG

I noticed that the SG drops the longer I leave the beer sampl in the Hygrometer tube. Is this normal ? For instance the SG read 1018 on the 24/9/09 when I first filled up the Hygrometer tube. I then shook the beer in the tube up, waited 5 minutes for it to settle and the reading dropped to 1014.
Is this normal ?

Been fermenting at 18-20 degrees so a bit cold in Melbourne this time of year. All wrapped in the kids sleeping bag seems to keep the temp. constant.

I also assume I shouldn't bottle just yet (I like the idea in another thread about 3 days in the fridge prior to bottling).

thanks

Digger

I am using a basic Coopers Microbrew simple little kit that came with Hygrometer.

Here is where I'm at :

22/9/09 1019 SG
23/9/09 1016 SG
24/9/09 1014 SG

I noticed that the SG drops the longer I leave the beer sampl in the Hygrometer tube. Is this normal ? For instance the SG read 1018 on the 24/9/09 when I first filled up the Hygrometer tube. I then shook the beer in the tube up, waited 5 minutes for it to settle and the reading dropped to 1014.
Is this normal ?

Been fermenting at 18-20 degrees so a bit cold in Melbourne this time of year. All wrapped in the kids sleeping bag seems to keep the temp. constant.

I also assume I shouldn't bottle just yet (I like the idea in another thread about 3 days in the fridge prior to bottling).

thanks

Digger

are you spinning the hydro in the tube to shake off the bubbles? they can make the hydro float and give a false reading.if you get a constant reading over 3 days you should be right to go.as for the 18-20 degrees thats a perfect temp for an ale so your first one should be a good one. as for the putting it in a fridge for a couple of days that is to help clear the yeast out of suspension a bit better for a clearer end result. dont do this until you are sure the ferment is finished though.

cheers bh

Here is where I'm at :

22/9/09 1019 SG
23/9/09 1016 SG
24/9/09 1014 SG

Is this normal ?

thanks

Digger

Hey Digger ;
I am only a beginner as well , I have never shaken the hydrometer, however by doing this you are possibly releasing the co2 that is in the wort . If you keep on taking samples all the time you will probably end up with a few Lts to bottle . You can take a satellite bottle and use it as a sample for testing gravity. That is when you pour everything into your fermenter , pour some into a stubbie and place some alfoil over the top to keep the nasties out, this way you can check the gravity without wasting your valuable wort , that is after you have pitched the yeast . You must wait until it has stopped fermenting , by that ; is when you take an SG reading it reads the same for 2-3 days in a row if it hasn't moved you know the fermentation has finished and it is safe to bottle or keg . That way you don't have any bottle bombs, shards of glass very nasty .

Cheers

Beerbelly

edit : beaten by beerhog . Don't be shy about asking questions no matter how silly or rediculous they seem to be for there is someone here ready to steer you in the right direction .

Thnaks for the advice.

Down to 1012 today on the hydrometer (not hygrometer !). Looks like I have a few more days to go still.

Spinning the hydrometer seems to do the trick for consistent readings.

On a seperate note - I worked for CUB in the early 1980's for a couple of years and remember getting a guided tour of the Abbotsford brewery by the Head Brewer.
I still remember the one tip he gave for anyone Home Brewing, and that was to sterilise absolutely everything, including even the lids of the bottles.
Reading these Forums it looks like everyone knows this anyway.

thanks again,

Digger.

Be careful sanitising lids though (or anything metallic) as if you use an oxidising agent you can encourage rust/oxidation (not of the beer).

I use them straight out of the pack without issue - If I'm concerned due to open packets etc then I drop them in boiling water, dry then use.

Digger,

I notice from your first post it has taken 13 days to drop to only 1014. This is a bit slow for the Coopers ale yeast, maybe the temps got below 18 at some stage. At 20, this brew should have fermented out in 7 days.

If you just used the can and a kilo, the FG should be 1006 -1008. Extra malt will raise the FG a few points

Your next purchase should be some sort of temp control device.

cheers

BB

Depending on where you live you can do without a specific device but you do need to be aware of temperature control.

If you have the money and the space then an extra fridge with a tempmate etc is a good investment. If like me you don't you can still maintain good temps - sinks full of iced water, blankets during the winter etc etc.

Back