Nomograph Application

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have rebuilt the Nomograph using 1.6.0_21 and it has been running fine on Chrome, Mozilla and Explorer. If you are having any problems with it please try updating java (java.com), if that doesnt work then let me know.

And big ups to Chad for doing the BABBs side of things :beer:

Cheers
Jye

Thanks Jye and thanks Chad

Screwy

Thanks for all the work that you guys have put into this... awesome stuff.

I was just reading the PH chapter in "how to brew" today too.

I have my water report and it says that:

Ca mean = 4.6mg/L
Mg mean = 1.2mg/L
Alkalinity = 17mg/L

Does this equate to 4.6ppm and so on?

These seem really low when I compare this to the water profile table in "How to Brew"...? Does that mean we have good water here in Melb and that I can make awesome Pilsners?
I put the figures in the chart and the Mash PH comes up around 5.7. So I am guessing that this is good, from my short reading, for Pale Ale's and Ambers...

From there if I want to make a darker beer I would have to add stuff, NaHCO3 looks like it will take the PH up quickly with the water that I have.

If anyone can clear this up for me it would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to start getting the water right now in my brews.

Thanks, Dietz

Anybody in the Moreton Bay Region know where I can get a water report - in my case Bribie Island? When we were Caboolture Shire their eyes glazed over and you could see them praying inwardly "Please beam up this weird annoying person, God".
Maybe things have improved hereabouts?

The nearest I got was to actually talk to the treatment plant where they said that if I provided a sample they could do one, for $130 (Bribie has a bit of a cocktail from mainland and island bores). Not holding out much hope but you never know.

Anybody in the Moreton Bay Region know where I can get a water report - in my case Bribie Island? When we were Caboolture Shire their eyes glazed over and you could see them praying inwardly "Please beam up this weird annoying person, God".

The nearest I got was to actually talk to the treatment plant where they said that if I provided a sample they could do one, for $130 (Bribie has a bit of a cocktail from mainland and island bores). Not holding out much hope but you never know.

Hey Bribie, why do you want to start messing with salts etc when I am told you already brew excellent beers.?

Rook

If you are dead in 50 years your waters not good :lol:
GB

Haha thanks guys. I get good results with the old "Hop driven / German Pils/ Aussie chuck in a spoonful of gypsum and a spoonful of epsom salts" - " Malt driven chuck in a spoonful of Calcium Carbonate and a teaspoon of Calcium Chloride" otherwise if unsure just put in some 5.2. and don't worry if I forget to do so :lol:

However getting more into Euro beers such as Helles and I wouldn't mind a bit more fine tuning than the above :icon_cheers:

This is a great application, really easy to use and makes water calcs very simple, thanks guys. I wish I had got on to this before now.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I see that the "Effective Hardness" notes list a special ingredient that might need to be changed -

special_ingredient_in_nomograph.JPG

I've had hair of the dog in my beer, but not this...

cheers

nifty

On Unbuntu Chrome and Firefox, I get the following. I have reinstalled the current Java for firefox too and updated the link for the plugin.

Screenshot_at_2012_01_14_16_13_17.png

Ill look into it FJ. I havent update Ubuntu for a while so Ill update everything and see if I can replicate the error.

I also have a HTML5 version of the application which I would like to upload but have been unable to get in contact with Palmer for his permission. If anyone has a direct link to him feel free to ask him or getting him to shoot me a PM.

Cheers
Jye

fraser_john, On a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10, with updated FF and Chrome I get the same error. I could not find a simple way of solving the security warning so I removed OpenJDK/IcedTea and installed Oracle (Sun) Java 6 JRE. Follow the below links for info and how tos.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
http://www.duinsoft.nl/packages.php?t=en

:beerbang:
HTML5 all the way.. :) :) :)

Indeed!

If anyone can get me in contact with Palmer I have a HTML5 version, Chrome app and Android app to release.

Cheers
Jye

fraser_john, On a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10, with updated FF and Chrome I get the same error. I could not find a simple way of solving the security warning so I removed OpenJDK/IcedTea and installed Oracle (Sun) Java 6 JRE. Follow the below links for info and how tos.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
http://www.duinsoft.nl/packages.php?t=en

Indeed!

If anyone can get me in contact with Palmer I have a HTML5 version, Chrome app and Android app to release.

Cheers
Jye

Good one Jye! I had to reinstall 11.10 as my upgrade from 10.4 failed and locked up the partition on boot for some odd reason.

Anyway, the duinsoft instructions worked perfect. Thanks!

Haha similar thing happened to me hence the clean instal.

It would be great if it could be incorporated into ProMash and Beersmith as part of their water profile components!

It would be great if it could be incorporated into ProMash and Beersmith as part of their water profile components!

That would be cool.

Are there any BN guys out there with contact to JP?

Back