No Rinse Sanitisers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess setteling on a product really i sth efirst step in this, and indeed I have a few choices now, thanx all. :icon_cheers:

watch out with sod.met - i will not breath right for hours after it - infact i hate the stuff. I have never had problems breathing and was doing a heap of sport, but a snif of that wet or dust i was in trouble

I have recently started using Starsan to replace the brewcraft one, mainly as i figured it would save me money, however i find that it foams up a lot and i have to rinse anyway - am i doing something wrong? i am using 1.5ml per litre as suggested. When washing my fermenter i put 3 litres of water in and 4.5ml of starsan and give it a shake and voom, it's foam city in there......any suggestions??

Cheers,
Hazwald

I have recently started using Starsan to replace the brewcraft one, mainly as i figured it would save me money, however i find that it foams up a lot and i have to rinse anyway - am i doing something wrong? i am using 1.5ml per litre as suggested. When washing my fermenter i put 3 litres of water in and 4.5ml of starsan and give it a shake and voom, it's foam city in there......any suggestions??

Cheers,
Hazwald
I let it drain a while, then just fill ontop of the foam. it sits on top and i was told this is infact good. If your really worried saniclean does not foam but is basicly the same result

foam is your friend :)

watch out with sod.met - i will not breath right for hours after it -

Agreed. Personally, I never minded the smell but it is bad for the lungs, particularly athsmatics. I never understood why everybody was so against it (seemed to sanitise fine and is used a lot in winemaking as far as I know) but now that I've switched to an easier, more economical variety, its use is limited in my brewery.

@Hazwald - it's meant to foam. Don't worry about it and don't rinse.

I let it drain a while, then just fill ontop of the foam. it sits on top and i was told this is infact good. If your really worried saniclean does not foam but is basicly the same result

Yes, the guy who created it says it's quite ok, because once the pH rises, it's no longer harmful.

As in just make the new brew with all that foam in there?!?! There seems to be an awful lot in there (also in the bottles too mind you when they've been done as well).

the foam is pushed out, its dilute and with the volume of beer its really dilute. Also its fine on the yeast ( i hear) so even a bonus.

I would not stress at all (unless you had a Lt of it sitting in the fermenter) - a very easy product to use. I started using it this year and i am not looking back not that i ever had problems with bugs but i feel happy with it

edit never could spell.

Cheers,
Hazwald

In the words of Charlie Tally (owner of 5 Star Chemicals and inventer of StarSan) "don't fear the foam"!

Foam tells you that your surfaces are coated and that the product is effective (in fact it is nothing but Phoshoric Acid and a surfactant). Just rack onto the foam, it will be fine!

I use Sodium Percarbonate to clean, then cold water to rinse and boiling water to finish before filling my fermenters and kegs.
I use Phosphoric Acid as a rust inhibitor not a sanitiser.

Brad

In the words of Charlie Tally (owner of 5 Star Chemicals and inventer of StarSan) "don't fear the foam"!

Got it in one there, Infact I tend to shake it in whatever I am sanitizing in order to make it foam.

Gavo.

Got it in one there, Infact I tend to shake it in whatever I am sanitizing in order to make it foam.

Gavo.

Well i may have to give it a go, although every time i see the foam i can't help but think it needs to go.....it looks like soap!!!!

The foam in fact sanitises just as affectively as the liquid and the solution is meant to foam, this helps its stick to the vertical surfaces and under the topof horizontal surfaces. Increasing contact time and helping to ensure good sanitation.

Drain well, whatever foam does not drain out - ignore.

If the foam freaks you out - use Saniclean. Essentially the same product but a low foaming formulation.

I alternate between starsan and iodophor - usually 5 or 6 brews on Starsan and then one on Iodophor. Keeps the bugs on their toes I reckon. Anything that decides its getting used to the one sanitiser and decides not to die.. gets blindsided in a few brews time before it can turn into a residual infection. Maybe once or twice a year I use an acidified bleach solution as an extra change-up.

I work too hard on my beer to lose one to infection - I'm very careful with sanitation.

TB

The foam from Starsan is no problem. When I keg a beer I use a Peristaltic pump with 5 litres of starsan in the keg and I draw it up the out tube and pump it back in the gas in disconnect. I pump the solution from one keg to another and when the first keg is empty I turn it upside down to drain the foam. When all 4 kegs have been sanitised I fill the first keg and push out the foam with the beer and then fill the rest of the kegs. I have not had a problem with infection and would be very upset to lose a beer through infection at this stage of the beer making procedure.
Cheers Altstart

I use 1 mL per litre water of saniclean which I syringe into the fermenter (usually 5 litres water).

This needs correction.

30 mL to 4 litres water (big difference) is the calculation I have come up with. No wonder I have two brews that currently taste like arse.

isnt it 30ml to 5 gal of water ?

Directions: A dilution of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of water, STAR SAN will provide 300 ppm of dodecylbenzenesulfonic
acid. After 1 to 2 minutes contact time, drain sanitizing solution equipment thoroughly. Do not rinse. If using Star
San in CIP, proper water balance must be maintained or your pump may cavitate. If used at a rate of more than
300 ppm, a potable rinse is required.

I'm talking saniclean. Simialar product, different dilution rates.

Ok I'm going to go through it again in case I've got it tits up (which I think I have).

Label says 1 oz (which I assume is fluid ounce) to 3 gallons (which I assume are US gallons)

1 fl ounce US = 29.5 mL

3 US liquid gallons = 11.35 litres

So 30 mL to 10/11 litres or 15 mL to 5 /5.5 litres.

Nobody in the world uses imperial measurements anymore. Frustration city. If anyone can see an error in this set of calculations please help.

why dont they say a shot glass in a bucket of water

that would be easier :D

Starsan 1.5ml per Litre

Latest posts

Back