No action after 16 hours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleosaurus cervisiae

Reaction score
I made a Kolsch last night and 17 hours later, there is no action in the airlock. I used dry yeast Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast. Rehydrated for about 1 hour. I had a spoonful of DME in 100mL of sterile water at room temp, although the instructions at the back of the pack said just water . The expiry date is 04/2014, so it is fresh enough. OG was 1050, so plenty of sugar there for munching. Pitched at 20 degrees and the temp went down to 18, where it is sitting now. I have no previous experience with this yeast, all I used in the past were US05 and US04 (and they would get firing in about 10-12 hours). Any suggestions? Should I pitch another sachet (I do have one in the fridge)? Should I up the temp, or should I just wait?

Let it be mate, I've often experienced 36 to 48 hours before "visible" signs..

When you do see it, it'll be almost over

After pitching, the "lag phase" is where the yeast cells bud and multiply - active fermentation will come later. They can only do this (edit, i.e bud) in an oxygenated environment. When they have used up all the oxygen in the wort they switch to anaerobic mode and start to ferment, producing CO2. It takes a while for the CO2 to saturate the wort, then it can start bubbling up and forming krausen. Depending on how many cells you pitched initially it can take up to a couple of days.
It also depends on the temperature. My last lot of lager was done on 2 packs of Wyeast Danish and it took three days to get a krausen.

You'll be right.

Also check the basics - like that the lid is actually secured properly - that's the more likely reason for no airlock activity

Patience Grasshopper!

I have found 36-48 hours pretty common, especially at the cooler temps.

What is this airlock you speak of? Along with many others I've been using clingwrap for several years now, far less frign around and you literally get a good clear window on what the brew is doing.

I used BRY 97 on my first brew. It took 24 hours for bubbling the air lock. My last took only 12 which was a FWK that had a lot more airation and lower OG.

I have a pale with US05 in at the moment. Pitched last night at around 10.
Nothing yet, pretty normal as the others say.

I am relaxed, and will have several homebrews tonight !!

Also, go the glad wrap ! Less to clean and as Bribie G said you can see in !

Depends on alot of things. Lately i get visible krausen in about 6-7 hours, but that would be because i've been using two step starters so my yeast is quite alive and rearing to go.

BRY-97 apparently has a reputation as being a slow starter/slow to show any visible signs of fermentation. I reckon it'll be fine.

I'm using it for the first time in a brew currently in the FV, it took about 21-24 hours to start forming a krausen, but I've heard of it taking 36-48 hours.

Back