Newcastle M J Finnegans & The Bistro - Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmick

Reaction score
One for the Novocastrians

I've got 2 Xmas do's coming up in the next few weeks in Newcastle
One at M J Finnegan's Irish pub and the other at The Bistro Restaurant (Darby St)

Anybody frequent these places? If so what's the food & (most importantly) beer selection like.
I've heard Finnegan's is supposed to have a wide selection of Irish beer on tap and the food's pretty good. I hope there's more than just the obligatory Guiness & Kilkenny - I doubt could handle an entire night of it. :chug:

G'day Shmick,

MJ Finegans is about as plastic Paddy as they come - it was the old CES in a previous incarnation - and has had the full 'spray on Irish' treatment. I haven't been in for about 6 months but when I was last there the beers on tap (other than VB etc) were Guinness, Kilkenny and Murphy's. Might have had Stella as well. For a work show it would probably be an OK venue really - don't let me put you off it - just letting you know what type of spot to expect. ;) Usually packed on a Friday and Saturday night.

The Bistro is a very flash 'old school' type of restaurant. Been around in Newcastle for years, as long as I can remember actually. Full on service, piano player in the 'bar', everyone calling you Sir type of place. Very expensive but in my experience good food and a top wine list. Not much in the way of beer though from memory. Bring your wallet!! :lol:

So there you go, Shawn's fearless revues :lol: Potentially good nights both of them by the sounds of it, but I wouldn't expect enormous beer selections...

Shawn.

Thanks Shawn

Gough said:
MJ Finegans is about as plastic Paddy as they come - it was the old CES in a previous incarnation - and has had the full 'spray on Irish' treatment.
[post="87668"][/post]​

:lol: :lol:
I've heard even the originally proposed name was 'tweaked' to make it more Irish sounding.

Gough said:
Full on service, piano player in the 'bar', everyone calling you Sir type of place. Very expensive but in my experience good food and a top wine list. Not much in the way of beer though from memory. Bring your wallet!! :lol:

[post="87668"][/post]​

This one's a freebee luckily but better mind the manners by the sound of it.
Wouldn't be the first time I've had my hand slapped for drinking out of a bottle though :p

finnegans is a great pub/nightspot
fairly quiet during the day but packed at nights(weekends)
killkenny is damn good on tap
if you hang out near the pool tables up stairs you can see down the girls tops at the bar
not that we do that of course ;)

MJ Finnigans, my favourite pub in Newcastle ... yeah it gets packed on the weekends, but so does everywhere in Newcastle.

Back