new wireless brewing equipment, needs our support!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big problem I see with this device is that it will give false readings if either Co2 attaches to the device and lifts it up or if yeast, hops or trub settles on or attaches to the device and pulls it down.

Ever tried leaving your hydrometer in the fermenter for a whole ferment? I've tried it once, total failure.

Co2 pushing it up is the obvious one, didnt think about hops and yeast settling on it. There's another one on kickstarter as well that somehow measures the gravity by the amount of Co2 being released through a valve. For the life of me i can't find it again

Recreational math on a Sunday morning: The gravity error caused by attached CO2 bubbles is on the order of 2.4*F*(r / R)/(1 - 2R/3L), where F is the fraction of total brewometer surface area that is covered with attached bubbles and r is the bubble radius. This assumes the brewometer is a capsule with radius R and length L.

So if the device is 2x10 cm, 50% of which is underwater and maximally covered with 0.1 mm diameter bubbles, its gravity reading will be off by approximately 0.007.

Here's their response to the bubble issue.

I have a few reservations as well, assuming the mechanics of bubbles and ferment debris can be accounted for, then what is it actually reporting, it isn't obvious if it is actual specific gravity or whether there is no small calibration or adjustment tomfoolery required to get some sense out of the data in real time. I would be mightily surprised if the device straight out of the box can be tossed in to any wort and for it to report actual SG with any precision or reliability, although I would of course happily stand corrected.

I agree. The distribution of mass inside the unit would need to be extremely precise to ensure a consistent relationship between angle of the device and density of the medium.

I'm going to back this and see if it gets funded. I will get it shipped to a forwarding agent such as myus.

If they can make it work it would be fantastic

Cheers

I've seen the videos and read the FAQ seams to answer all the questions I asked. Would love one but I don't know when they will ship it to Australia. They want to but it's not happening now! All for the idea of being able to monitor with out 'touching' the beer. What happens if they don't get the funding goal?

If it doesn't reach its funding goal then kickstarter don't take our money and the project doesn't get funded...
They might try again, give up or find the money they need some other way I guess...

Yob said:
Needs is a pretty strong word... Not sure I "need" it..
Right on top of my don't need list.

Its an old thread but I was just googling away and found this.

http://brewometer.net/

The kickstarter didn't take off but they are now delivering the units next month but are sold out at the moment. I cant see a price anywhere.

Back