new to kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

govorko1974

Reaction score
I know this will probably sound like a stupid question. but as this is the first brew I have kegged was wanting to know when I have finished a session and the keg isn't empty can I turn the co2 off and disconnect gas in and leave keg in fridge or will this result in beer going flat.

I do this all the time as I dont trust my quick disconnects not to leak. Also when I was using a temporary fridge I had to keep the gas bottle outside the fridge and to shut the fridge door had to disconnect the gas. You shouldnt lose any Co2 in the beer but if your keg has any small leaks you will lose serving pressure.

I just gas mine up every few pours or once every couple of days to 10PSI.

It'll be fine as long as there's no leaks in the lid or poppet seals. It pays to remove the disconnects as you can lose a bit from there. Reconnect after a couple of days to keep it at your serving pressure ( some gas will probably be absorbed into the beer so dont be too worried about leaks unless your beer is flat )
Hope this helps.
Ps best to keep it cold if you can, after a while at room temp you can get some off flavours developing from the residual yeast.

I do it all the time and don't have issues. I bring the keg pressure back up to carbonation pressure rather then poring pressure then disconnect.

just a quick question for those who answered... how do you guys carb your beer. am I trying the set and forget method but it seems a little undercarbed at the mo so have turned the pressure back up to 300kpa

Thanks for asking the "stupid" question mate, I'm just new to kegging too so also grateful for the valuable responses.

Look up "forced carbonation". There is a wealth of opinion around this topic. All the best.

Latest posts

Back