New To Extractbrewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicdog1

Reaction score
hi there just went to my local brewcraft and purhased 2 cans of black rock light blonde malt extract and 50 grams hallertua pellets and muntons gold yeast im just waiting for the temperature to drop here so i can have a crack at brewing these, the brew shop operater said it would be a good starter for me in extract brewing . he said to boil hops 25g for 60min then 25g at 30 min then strain and add. does this sound rite ? and should i try to add anything else to these or just get a feel for the taste . He said to leave in bottles for min 6 months , if im gonna wait that long does anyone have suggestions for more ingredients to make it worth the wait?

cheers sd

I am yet to try extract so have no good info. but have read around alot, with your hops it would depend on the hops your using the AA rating and the IBU you are aiming for. I find it easier to go to recipeDB here is the link for the extract brews in the DB LINK

get a beer there you find you may like and try that, it tells you the estimated fermenting times and times left in bottles as well as a whole lot of other info.

I am yet to try extract so have no good info. but have read around alot, with your hops it would depend on the hops your using the AA rating and the IBU you are aiming for. I find it easier to go to recipeDB here is the link for the extract brews in the DB LINK

get a beer there you find you may like and try that, it tells you the estimated fermenting times and times left in bottles as well as a whole lot of other info.

cheers but there seems to be a whole lot of ales and my extract is two row barley i want to get something like a boags pure if im on the rite tack i dunno

yes I love lagers and found not many recipes on here. I think the simple reason is to do a proper lager you need to use lager yeast and ferment at 15deg then rack to a secondary fermenter and lagger for 2-3 weeks at about 5deg (could be wrong was a few months ago when was reading it why I am aiming for a ale next brew) then you need to bottle and store for 4 weeks but have read 6-12 months is best.

thats to do a proper lager but I done 2 lagers with ale yeasts and both fermented to high temp (between 23-30 deg as had no cooling) they smelt like fruit and tasted like crap haha, both was kits mind you. been reading up for a month waiting for some money to come it to start to try extracts. Finally got a fridge picking up tomorrow and got some kits for xmas so do a few kit and bits

I always seem to read a heap befor I go ahead and do things, wish I did on first 2 batchs instead of listening to the people at the brew shop (should realised when both said totally different things and both batchs came out like crap)

yes I love lagers and found not many recipes on here. I think the simple reason is to do a proper lager you need to use lager yeast and ferment at 15deg then rack to a secondary fermenter and lagger for 2-3 weeks at about 5deg (could be wrong was a few months ago when was reading it why I am aiming for a ale next brew) then you need to bottle and store for 4 weeks but have read 6-12 months is best.

thats to do a proper lager but I done 2 lagers with ale yeasts and both fermented to high temp (between 23-30 deg as had no cooling) they smelt like fruit and tasted like crap haha, both was kits mind you. been reading up for a month waiting for some money to come it to start to try extracts. Finally got a fridge picking up tomorrow and got some kits for xmas so do a few kit and bits

I always seem to read a heap befor I go ahead and do things, wish I did on first 2 batchs instead of listening to the people at the brew shop (should realised when both said totally different things and both batchs came out like crap)

yeh i know what you mean trying too read as much as possible this is a great site . brew shop i think they just want to ofload there stock the dude was pretty short with me but i did have a three year old and 6month old with me oh well experimentation here i come
its gonna be bloody hot here over xmas may have to wait dont have a second fridge

yeah I just put all I wanted in the sponser link at the top of the page (craftbrewer) my home brew shop was $54 and only got 2 x 24gm of hops and and all other gear I needed craft brew was $42 delivered and got 2x 90gm of hops but they say they may not post it till the 5th as some people will be there but are not sure if orders will be posted :(

As for home brew shops I used to race RC cars and never delt with local hobby shops they would never give you what you wanted they think they know all and mix you fuel that I only used to clean out air filters as it was 30% oil and I could not run a car on it and race, was ok for people that are new but he wouldnt mix it how I wanted it and charged $48 for 3lt i could get proper race fule 4lts for $45 lol. you could amagine I never shopped there again.

So guess all I can say is shop around as the stuff at the local home brew here is teas bags and the stuff on craftbrew is pellets so I would rather pelllets even though its 1/7th the price its easier to use and you can measure it properly

Back