New To Ahb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you volunteering to come tell the Minister for War and Finance I now need to buy more stuff!? If you do, bring your 20L brewing tub as you'll need it for protection.

How do you plan to brew for a living, if the Minister for Saying No isn't on board with the small-scale production? :D

Goomba

How do you plan to brew for a living, if the Minister for Saying No isn't on board with the small-scale production? :D

Goomba
Thats easy - she's part of the big scale stuff (she runs the cafe\tapas side of things) while I run the brewery.

But it's not so much about the buying, it's where it ends up in the house that's she's worried about...

Thats easy - she's part of the big scale stuff (she runs the cafe\tapas side of things) while I run the brewery.

But it's not so much about the buying, it's where it ends up in the house that's she's worried about...

Mine sits under the house - so long as it isn't inside the house, then it's fine.

Goomba

I'd seek advice from someone in the industry if I was about to go into the industry.

This is like asking questions on a Go Kart forum, and then saying you're hitting Formula One in 2013.

Making great beer is the first 10% of the hurdles you'll need to jump.

I'd seek advice from someone in the industry if I was about to go into the industry.
Funnily enough I've done that and they said to start the way I've mentioned previously, though they gave a few differing options on where to start ie extract, all-grain, microbrewing, etc. Much like the people on here...

I'm lucky that I have a few contacts in the craft and microbrewery industry in NZ - they all have stories to tell and their beginnings were all very different, but where you start doesn't necessarily dictate where you end up, it's more the journey you take that does that.

I have plans for a brewpub that will be different to most, as after all, being different is what attracts attention (hopefully good attention). I'm more than happy to take people's advice from here as that's why I joined - whether I act on it or not is a different matter.

Plenty of industry types on here though. Brewers from Little Creatures, white rabbit, kooinda, stone and wood, true South and many, many more

Righto - went and saw Anthony at Craft Brewer today and got everything I need for BIAB @ 9L American Pale Ale. Just testing my stove's capacity now to boil 11L of water in a 16L stockpot I got from Big W. Handles it quite well though 11L water plus grain is going to bring it close to the top!

I've read through the instructions on the previous link about BIAB steps - a little bit different to the way Anthony explained it but pretty close. He crafted up a recipe using BeerSmith2 which seems straight forward.

Couple of questions:

I assume drilling out and filing the hole for the tap in the bottom of the fermentation container is the best method?
Same for the airlock hole on the lid?
My garage is sitting at 22-23 degrees these days - should I place the fermentation container on the concrete slab or will that wick too much temperature away? I'd leave it inside the house somewhere but the temp fluctuates too much inside with the ducted heating (16-23 degrees) though a few more weeks and we won't need this.

Tomorrow is the day. Time to get stuck in and brew the first batch.

Thanks for the link - looks like I'm going to have to negotiate with the current kitchen owner about some usage time and also where I might be able to store and ferment - keeping the fermentation at a decent temp is going to be my biggest problem as the only free corner in my garage would range from about 15-30 degrees depending on the weather outside.

Small chest freezer with "Fridgemate" (temperature controller)

Freezer_fermenters.jpg

Back