New Kit: Coopers European Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.008? I would start bottling. I got a brew that doesnt want to move off 1.018

Check it again tomorrow morning and if its still 1.008 then you can bottle. If you can't tomorrow, do it on the weekend, it will be fine if you don't open it up.

Just be careful not to suck airlock water into the brew when taking your sample (you may have to ease the airlock out a little to prevent it)

Yesterday I have finished with bottling. The density was 1007. Now I start with second fermentation to create CO2 bulbs in beer. What is the best temperature for second fermentation and how many days it takes? What next? What is the best temperature for aging/curing beer? 10'C or more?
Thanks for answers!

Secondary is usually best before fermentation is complete as some of the yeast processes occur simultaneously. Secondary allows the yeast to clean and the beer to mature while fermentation is still happening. At 1007, I doubt you have much fermentation going on. What you have now is 'secondary' not secondary 'fermentation'.

If you want to assist the beer further I reckon (and others may have better ideas) that cold conditioning for a week will help make clear beer that tastes clean.

Otherwise just bottle

What did you hope to achieve with the transfer?

I would have not transferd. I would of just bottled and left for 12 weeks.

The density after 18 days was 1007. I pour beer in bottles, add sugar and stoppered bottles.
Now I'm wondering, what is the best temperature, that beer create CO2 bubbles? How many time does it take?

If sitting at around 18 degrees celcius it should take between 7 and 14 days. Leaving the beer at least 14 days will help round it out. Longer is often better depending on style. If colder it may take longer to carbonate although lagers do well with colder, longer storage.

The coopers International european Lager Kit can says to leave it in the bottles for at least 12 weeks before opening. I think this is because of the type of lager yeast they have used. Where with there other beers they say you can try one after 2 weeks. I would not be trying there european lager after 2 weeks! i think it would still smell/taste eggy!

It is interesting... my european lager doesnt smell eggy. Even during fermentation it didn't smell eggy. At 19'C fermentation takes 18 days. The man who sold me coopers european lager said, alle yeast are enclosed, because of homebrewer circumstances. He said it is difficult to create conditions that original european lager needs. I doubt what he said, so i brew it like a lager. But anyway... is it posible, ale yeast were enclosed?

Now it is second day of carbonization at 20'C. I'll wait for one week and try how much bubbles beer has. Then I'll put beer at 10 degrees and wait at least 3 weeks. IS IT OK?
(If some bottles will wait for me for 12 weeks, it will be even better)

Basic coopers lager kit contains an ale yeast (or a combo of ale and lager). I think European Lager tin contains genuine lager yeast and should be fermented below 14 degrees.

The conditions lager yeasts need are simply lower temperatures. Using temp control or just being outside in Southern Au states in winter is close enough. LHBS guy sounds like he may not be quite aware of what he is talking but it may be brown in colour and sludgy in texture.

Your carbonation method sounds ok. After 1 week at 20 there should be an indication that carbonation is occurring. Allowing the temp to drop and storing for some time will make the beer better.

This is from the coopers club members forum.........................

HI ALL,
JUST SO WE DONT ASK THE SAME QUESTION OVER N OVER......HERE IS THE COOPERS YEASTS STRAINS FOR EACH HOMEBREW KIT,SO YOU CAN WORK OUT WHAT YOU CAN N CANT MIX WHEN IT COMES TOO YEASTS!!
So to extend the inital listing to include yeast sachet codes if they were packaged today being the 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Brewmaster Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)

Premium Selection:- Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note: Ac = Coopers ale yeast, A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast

I have been meaning to brew a lager for a while now and with the weather being as cold as 3c at night i thought i should make hay while the sun shines so out i went and bought the coopers european lager. reading others posts i decided to modify the kit somewhat and bought some carapils and hallertau hersbrucker from my lhbs. My brew day went something like this- 240g carapils steeped for 60min @ 65c, 800g of light dry malt, 300g dex, 28g haller h for 50min, .5 whirfloc pill, kit yeast and obviously the tin as well, i plan to dry hop with about 20g of hops maybe around week 2-3 in primary? it is fermenting now at around 10c. critique/tips welcome, Cheers :icon_cheers:

Ive just finished brewing one now, took about two weeks, (just about to bottle it). I copied the recipe on the tin (no additional hops or anything) I used brew enhancer 2. i might try a hallertau bag later and compare it.
Initially i was concerned it wasn't a good batch because it smelt a bit "farty", the smells gone now though. I was also worried that it was too cold, at 16oC (only thing good about sydney winter) instead of 18, but not as concerned after seeing your posts. thanks! I probably cant wait 12 weeks so ill try em out in a month and see how thery are.
Anything's better than a brigalow lager at 30oC for me!

btw I just bought a "finishing hops tablet" (aroma hops) at big W, weird!? I might try it it on a brew ive done before to see if it works.

cheers! :party:

Ive just finished brewing one now, took about two weeks, (just about to bottle it). I copied the recipe on the tin (no additional hops or anything) I used brew enhancer 2. i might try a hallertau bag later and compare it.
Initially i was concerned it wasn't a good batch because it smelt a bit "farty", the smells gone now though. I was also worried that it was too cold, at 16oC (only thing good about sydney winter) instead of 18, but not as concerned after seeing your posts. thanks! I probably cant wait 12 weeks so ill try em out in a month and see how thery are.
Anything's better than a brigalow lager at 30oC for me!

btw I just bought a "finishing hops tablet" (aroma hops) at big W, weird!? I might try it it on a brew ive done before to see if it works.

cheers! :party:

I think Lagers are meant to smell farty/eggy while fermenting, this is a good sign! I have seen those tablets in k-mart before, im a little skeptical as to their freshness.(as with everything in large retail outlets!)

I used to use those finishing hop tablets. May have helped with head formation and retention but has bugger all effect on flavour or aroma. Better off going to an HBS and buying hop pellets.

Freshness has little to do with them - they are essentially a brigalow gimmick.

I used to use those finishing hop tablets. May have helped with head formation and retention but has bugger all effect on flavour or aroma. Better off going to an HBS and buying hop pellets.

Freshness has little to do with them - they are essentially a brigalow gimmick.

What are your ideas as to the reason behind the lack of flavour and aroma? shitty hops? oxidation perhaps?

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='499833' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:00 PM']What are your ideas as to the reason behind the lack of flavour and aroma? shitty hops? oxidation perhaps?[/quote]

I don't think they're designed to add either. There's no hop type listed (at least not on the brigalow finishing hops tabs which are the only ones I've seen). The packet mentions hop oils leading to added head retention etc so I think it's just generic oils in tablet form.

I don't think they're designed to add either. There's no hop type listed (at least not on the brigalow finishing hops tabs which are the only ones I've seen). The packet mentions hop oils leading to added head retention etc so I think it's just generic oils in tablet form.

Wow, I was under the impression there were actually hops in these finisihing hop tablets :lol:

I would assume so but you'd be hard pressed to discern any specifics - eg saaz, hallertauer, PoR etc following the addition of one.

Yeah i suspect the hops tablet its nothing great/gimmick, but seeing as it was $3 i still bought one! hahaha.
She's (euro lager) all bottled up, i tasted a bit from the tap as i bottle it, not drinkable! i think ill wait it out the 12 weeks.Its also darker than i expected, guess im used to pale ales.
Someone should start up a HBS in the eastern suburbs - am i correct in saying the closest one is northshore sydney?
From a chemical understanding oxidation and heat is the biggest hop life factor, the varieties and amounts/strengths of beta alpha acids has an affect too...Soo glad these coopers cans were invented!
chearz :icon_cheers:

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='499540' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:39 AM']I have been meaning to brew a lager for a while now and with the weather being as cold as 3c at night i thought i should make hay while the sun shines so out i went and bought the coopers european lager. reading others posts i decided to modify the kit somewhat and bought some carapils and hallertau hersbrucker from my lhbs. My brew day went something like this- 240g carapils steeped for 60min @ 65c, 800g of light dry malt, 300g dex, 28g haller h for 50min, .5 whirfloc pill, kit yeast and obviously the tin as well, i plan to dry hop with about 20g of hops maybe around week 2-3 in primary? it is fermenting now at around 10c. critique/tips welcome, Cheers :icon_cheers:[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback guys :icon_cheers:

Back