New Fermenters By Coopers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they are too expensive. I get fermenters from Crown Concepts in Oakleigh South. 30L cost under $10 and 15L cost $7.50. ...
They also have all manner of cubes, jerry cans and the likes.
I picked up a couple from Crown and one has a lid with no airlock hole
Thats where I purchased my last lot of fermenters/jerrys from, very very good prices.
I was happy to get the lids without holes in them, didn't even know they offered the choice of lids with air-lock holes.

I picked up a couple from Crown and one has a lid with no airlock hole
- not sure if it was just missed or if they supply both types. The lady who was looking after the place at the time didn't know. I like it because I don't use an airlock, just a bottle cap over the hole, so any fridge condensation that pools on the lid is easy to remove.

You have to drill it yourself. It is easy to do. Same if you want to put a tap in it. just unscrew the plug and drill. This is exactly the same as the LHBS will do.

Thats where I purchased my last lot of fermenters/jerrys from, very very good prices.
I was happy to get the lids without holes in them, didn't even know they offered the choice of lids with air-lock holes.

They don't have holes for airlocks. That way they can be used for storage too. They are not specifically for use as a fermenter.
Don't forget to get the taps from them too. Couldn't be cheaper.

R

I wouldnt mind a new fermentor, might try the bunnings ones.

I just screw the lid of my fermentor on loosely. Never has a problem, easy to clean too. Tried the gladwrap thing for a while, but i really dont stare into my fermentor a lot, so im now back to a loosely screwed on lid. Although i brewed a triple not long ago, and the krausen was so big i ended up using glad wrap, which ended up being pushed off hahahahahahah.

A friend of mine wants to start homebrewing and I have been tossing up between getting him to buy a coopers kit (like I started) or putting together piece by piece.

To be honest the Coopers kit is pretty good value. To put it together with a bunnings fermenter (not 100% sure that is the right price) and the rest sourced from my LHBS I get the following:

Bunnings Fermenter $16.00 (?)
Airlock $4.50
Grommet $1.20
Stick on Thermometer $7.00
Tap? $4.95
Hydrometer $15.50
Mixing Spoon $5.00
Coopers beer kit $14.50
Brew enchancer 1 $9.50
Carb drops 250g $4.00

Total Without Bottles $82.15

So the price is the same as the coopers kit but with the kit you also get enough bottles for your first brew. Sure I could get rid of the airlock and grommet, but for a new brewer I think it is good to be able to see that active fermentation. Also I'm not sure if the bunnings fermenter comes with a tap, I assume so? That knocks of a few dollars but overall its pretty close.

A friend of mine wants to start homebrewing and I have been tossing up between getting him to buy a coopers kit (like I started) or putting together piece by piece.

To be honest the Coopers kit is pretty good value. To put it together with a bunnings fermenter (not 100% sure that is the right price) and the rest sourced from my LHBS I get the following:

Bunnings Fermenter $16.00 (?)
Airlock $4.50
Grommet $1.20
Stick on Thermometer $7.00
Tap? $4.95
Hydrometer $15.50
Mixing Spoon $5.00
Coopers beer kit $14.50
Brew enchancer 1 $9.50
Carb drops 250g $4.00

Total Without Bottles $82.15

So the price is the same as the coopers kit but with the kit you also get enough bottles for your first brew. Sure I could get rid of the airlock and grommet, but for a new brewer I think it is good to be able to see that active fermentation. Also I'm not sure if the bunnings fermenter comes with a tap, I assume so? That knocks of a few dollars but overall its pretty close.

It is a good kit for a beginner, just that when he goes and wants more, and he will hopefully, then he will want to be more choosy and find his own style.

r

You have to drill it yourself. It is easy to do. Same if you want to put a tap in it. just unscrew the plug and drill. This is exactly the same as the LHBS will do.

Maybe the stock varies because when I was there they all had pre-drilled holes except one.

Give me the musical 'gloop gloop gloop' of an airlock anyday. :ph34r:

Such a sweet, sweet sound. :wub:

Always wondered why big breweries have a big hose in a bucket for an airlock myself. I guess it's to contain the mess when things get vigorous.

Hopper.

Yeah, but the bucket still goes gloop gloop, right? I'd certainly hope so. I don't know what to do with myself the few times I've glad wrapped :lol:

I seem to recall recently reading about Coopers now supplying a no airlock fementer. I believe it works by essentially having a loose lid to help the co2 to escape. As the wort ferments and the co2 pressure eases, the lid begins to close and consequently seals the fermenting wort from the elements.

Dropped into my LHB shop yesterday and they hadn't received them as yet.

Has anybody been able to get a hold of them yet? I'm thinking they would be good for use in my brewing fridge which dosen't have much height clearance and therefore using an airlock is a bit of a struggle.

I suppose you could just use a normal screw top type fermenter with no airlock hole, but that would mean having to tighten the lid as the fermentation process eases.

Cheers

I never use an airlock - there is absolutely no need to (other than for the comforting "gloop-gloop" sound but you get used to its absence) - I just loosely screw the lid on and put tap over the airlock hole (if it has one).

Bacteria can't fly and bacteria can't navigate - they just fall or go with the breeze. And so, there is no way for bacteria to fly up and under the rim and through the thread of a fermenter lid - especially when there is positive CO2 pressure pushing out.

I would only ever use glad-wrap if I lost all of my fermenter lids - I'd be concerned about the glad-wrap breaking.

Wholey moley.... Big W:
Lager Beer < $10 (same that comes with the DIY kit)
BE 1 = around $6
Ah so you can still get the coopers stuff at Big W?

I haven't been able to find any Coopers stuff at woolies, coles or kmart so I emailed the Coopers distributors and the map they gave me only had LHBS and those are the prices at my LHBS!

Ah so you can still get the coopers stuff at Big W?

I haven't been able to find any Coopers stuff at woolies, coles or kmart so I emailed the Coopers distributors and the map they gave me only had LHBS and those are the prices at my LHBS!

Big W and Woolies have coopers kits here in Tas. I don't know about Kmart or Coles though.

Hey guys, I would like to know a few questions about my brand spanker - DIY Beer 'Cherry-Popping' Cooper's Home Brew Kit.

I would like to know; Do i need to sanitize each and every piece of this kit prior to first use?
I did buy sanitizer, but I thought that might be just for second and so forth brews.

Secondly, I would like to know if I will use the supplied tub as the *quote* "VESSEL" *un-quote*.... or will I use the brand spanker stainless steel 20L stockpot that I got for $20 at BigW to put all the ingredients in, then transfer to the plastic tub supplied?

Also, Is the Lager tin and Glucose/Sucrose 1kg bag what is commonly referred to around here as "K&K"?

Thanks guys, looking forward to your response(s).

Cheers, Erin

Yeah sanatising before your first brew would be a good idea, even though it is clean it might not be "sanitised" clean.

Depends on whether you are adding steeped grain or boiled hops, if not just mix all your stuff in the fermentor (vessel)

K & K is a kit can (like a coopers lager etc) and kilo of sugar/dextrose/malt etc

I would sanitise your equipment if i were you. With kits beers i mix all my ingredients in some hot water in the vessel and then top up with water. K&K stands for Kit and Kilo so the can is the Kit and the Kilo is malt/dex/sugar etc.

EDIT: I r 2 slow

Hey guys, I would like to know a few questions about my brand spanker - DIY Beer 'Cherry-Popping' Cooper's Home Brew Kit.

I would like to know; Do i need to sanitize each and every piece of this kit prior to first use?
I did buy sanitizer, but I thought that might be just for second and so forth brews.

Secondly, I would like to know if I will use the supplied tub as the *quote* "VESSEL" *un-quote*.... or will I use the brand spanker stainless steel 20L stockpot that I got for $20 at BigW to put all the ingredients in, then transfer to the plastic tub supplied?

Also, Is the Lager tin and Glucose/Sucrose 1kg bag what is commonly referred to around here as "K&K"?

Cheers, Erin

You should clean and sanitise any item that comes into contact with the wort, this is important. Just clean with some napisan, rinse well then sanitise with some regular bleach and rinse again.

Just mix the tin with 2 ltrs of hot water inside fermenter vessel add 1 kg and stir well. Top up to 23 ltrs. K&K method

Cheers, Erin
definetly clean and sanitise all equipment before your first brew. not quite sure what Quote 'vessel' is but maybe someone else can comment on that.

Holy God you guys are quick around here! :blink:

Great tips, thank you.
I will def sanitize what I plan to use and just make the supplied 'K&K' B) in the plastic tub supplied.

Samuel Adams, while I have got you here, is your name due to your talent in creating Sam Adam's knockoffs?
I mentioned it in another thread, but my goal is to create something similar enough to Sam Adam's BL as it is my all time favourite beer!

Cheers guys.

Ha ha I wish, no just a big fan like you.

I have plans to try and make something similar & have purchased the hops but I'm waiting to get my temp control sorted so I can use lager yeast properly.

I saw the other thread and it will be a help getting something close brewed.

Back