Need Ideas For A Festival Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nqtrancer

Reaction score
G'day all

Chasing ideas for a good beer to take to a 4 day music festival in about 3 months.

I'm usually a K&K man, but this is a special annual festival for me and want to make something to share with friends thats a mark above the usual K&K (most ive been unhappy with even with extensive aging, but i drank them all :) )

So im thinking of doing a partial or BIAB.

Wondering if you guys could point me to a sensibly priced BIAB recipe that would be somewhere around Carlton Dry, James Squire Golden ale sort of tastes.

Not overly bitter, something easy swigging but still 5%+ for drinking during day time tomfoolery.

Only got a 15L Pot but not afraid of doing two separate 10l? runs to make a couple cartons.

thanks lads

have you got a bag to BIAB in?
You could do a partial, with a 50% mash and add 2kg DME at the end when you throw it in the fermenter.
Follow the Dr Smurto JSGA recipe.

No bag yet, but keen to pick up some of that material most the blokes are using on here from spotlight.

So im thinking of doing a partial or BIAB.

A simple partial recipe thats suitable for a festival (excessive consumption) would be a simple thirst quenching pale ale will low crystal malt sweetness.

4.5kg of JW Ale
400g Weyermann Munich
500g Carapils
100g Caramalt/Carared

20IBU Cascade @ 60 Mins
5IBU Cascade @ 10 Mins
30g flameout addition

Feremnt US05/1056

Say no more. a 4.5-5% quaffer.

Fourstar i just found one of your posts on JSGA clone using extract.

I think i might give this a run.

1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Dry Extract (5.0 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.50 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.0 EBC) Extract 40.0 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S-04 (Fermentis) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 25.1 IBU Calories: 496 cal/l
Est Color: 17.2 EBC Color: Color

Time to visit lhbs and price it up

Just to make sure i got this right in my head -
Put water in pot, bring upto temp, steep crystals, add extract, bring to boil, add hops ?

Thanks

Put water in pot, bring upto temp, steep crystals, add extract, bring to boil, add hops ?

Thanks

Just make sure you remove you grains before you boil otherwise you'll also extract some not so tasty tannins from them.

I think from my recipe, the IBU's accounted for where in a 15L boil with the steeped liquor only. I remember i always boiled the steeped liquor, did my hop additions for the whole boil time noted and then added the extract towards the end.

So, at the end of the boil add the DME, do it at around 5-10 mins to go. That way your IBU count will be up where it should be (or thereabouts.)

If you add it all at the beginning, the isomerisation of the hops will be considerably lower and throw your IBU count out.

Winter solstice festival
With this in mind, i'd almost be tempted to go for something the other end of the spectrum. Instead of a nice quenching pale ale, something a bit richer, darker, a winter warmer of sorts to heat up folks in the cold weather.

Of course, this isn't what you have in mind, and most people would be a bit reluctant to touch a dark bock bier, stout, Belgian strong ale, etc, when they could be quaffing down pints of nice drinkable golden ale! :icon_drool2:

Yeah, this festival is in north queensland.... winter isnt the winter your thinking :lol:

I have a question, since none of my LHBS have dried wheat malt (only have the coopers wheat extract 1.5kg), and craftbrewer dont have it <_< ...

How much extract would i have to use to have the equivalent of 1.5kg dry ?

Thought i would update this.

I ended up doing a full extract with crystal steep.
Beer came out darker than i thought it would and the bitterness was suprising just before i chucked it in to ferment.
Been in the fridge @ 16 degrees for 7 days now and the intial bitterness has subsided a bit and im really loving the amarillo flavor comming out.

Gravity @ 23L was 1042

This will be the first time i'm going to rack to a secondary fermenter for another 10 odd days, got a few questions.

The amarillo pallets i threw in for fermenting, im assuming they have dissolved into little bits like in the boil ? should i be filtering this on the way into the secondary? if so, what do i use?

Should i make any change to the temperature while the secondary is in the fridge?

One more thing, should i be storing my left over cracked crystal in the fridge? or is it ok in a sealed container in the cupboard?

Thanks

B)

current reading : 1014

just had a taste, Excellent, the intial bitterness that freaked me out thinking i had done something wrong has almost gone now... stress for nothing.

heh, feel like a nonce adding new replies not being able to edit :(

But after reading bulk threads on racking etc. I have more questions.

I will be bottling this beer, aging approx 3months and then transporting it before drinking. My previous brews have always had a fair amount of yeast in the bottles and thus, get cloudy beer on drinking. I am keen to try get this beer clearer and hopefully, tasting more sharp due to less floating yeast.

I fill using one of those bottle fillers that go into the tap, if i just added gelatine to the fermenter and CC'd it, am i going to see a difference bottling this way? I thought the yeast/muck would just get sucked into the tap and down the tube ?

Should i just rack from the top into a secondary then gelatin+CC ? don't really want to risk infection(havn't had a problem yet), but if im going to get bottles with far less sediment i may give it a go.

recommendations?

nqtrancer,

Before racking to secondary I would be inclined to bump the the temperature up to around 18-20C for an extra couple of days. This will ensure that fermentation is complete.

Once you're sure its all done then rack to secondary and CC.

I don't always CC but when I do the beer always clears extremely well on its own.

As far as using clearing agents goes; I don't use them so not 100% sure on process; but I'm pretty sure they can be added at time of CC.

Cheers

Scott

Thanks Jerry for the reply.

Just checked it again today, down to 1012 now. I hope it comes down more, if it doesn't, oh well ill have to remember to increase malt content next time.

Just set the temp to 20, and i will probably rack on sunday then CC.

Latest posts

Back