Need Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been down a similar road, I still think your being too complicated (i.e. trying to do things like making a mid strength). I'm not critising you, as I've made the same mistakes.

My suggestion would be to make the recipe below (thanks Tony). It's simple with basic ingredients but is a great drop. Master this before trying anything else like lagering, tablets, etc.

LC Bright Ale Clone

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Malt (kg): 3.30
Anticipated OG: 1.046
Anticipated EBC: 7.2
Anticipated IBU: 25.5
Wort Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.00 kg. Coopers Light Malt Extract (i.e. 2 x 1.5 kg cans)
0.30 kg. Dextrose 1.046 0

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet @ 45 min.
12.00 g. Cascade Pellet @ 45 min.
10.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet @ 15 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Pellet @ 15 min.
18.00 g. B-Saaz Pellet @ 0 min.
18.00 g. Cascade Pellet @ 0 min.

Yeast
-----
US-05

I have based this around 2 x 1.5kg cans of liquid unhopped light malt extract, and some dextrose to lighten the extract and make up the gravity.

Method:

Disolve one of the cans of extract in 14 liters of water in a large pot around the 18 to 20 liter mark. bring to the boil and add the hops as per recipe. Boil it so its rolling but not frothing. you want more that a simmer but less than a big frothing roll that boils over. USe your own judgement on this.

After the 45 min and addition of the flame out hops (0 min) remove from heat and disolve the second can of extract and the Destrose and crash chill in the laundry tub/bath tub by submersing the pot in cold water. Replace the water when it heats up.

Pour it into the fermenter, straining out the hops through a hop sock (ross) or something similar.

Top up with cold water in the fermenter, pitch yeast and keep below 20 deg (i.e. 18).

Latest posts

Back