Need Help Gassing Keg Urgent Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gossy

Reaction score
Hi All

Ok it's been 4 years since brewing so you can class me as a nooby. ANYWAY
I have brewed 2 kits in a draught and a blond both times fermentation a success the issue is when gassing the kegs.
So I have filled kegs gassed and burpped for a 3 sec duration.
Turn gas upto 260kpa and let warm beer cool and gas for 48hrs as I used to do. Right or wrong?????
Turn gas down to serving pressure say 50-70ish kpa and pour HOWEVER both kegs have poured pure head.
And once the beer sits for a while the head disperses and the beer looks semi flat but no sour taste.
So to me it looks like a over gas.

Can I recover the beer if so how.
I read remove from gas shake down for 10 sec then release gas from keg
let keg settle then repeat.

Is this right or wrong ??? is there a better way to degas

Please help missus will spit at another wasted beer.

Cheers Gossy

Sorry failed to mention
After filling keg I then place in the fridge to cool whilst gassing for the 48 hrs

Third time in new posts for the same question within 48hours, is this a record?

Ahh ok, have you tried pouring a few glasses? Sometimes the warm tap can heat the liquid up as its comming out.
Hopefully someone else will know exactly whats going and chime in any second. Good luck.

Third time in new posts for the same question within 48hours, is this a record?

Could be Kev, unless the 48 Ltr urn pops it head up again soon :ph34r:

I was guilty of not using the search button enough in the start, but you soon learn, it's all be asked or done before.......

Turn the gas off,
drop all the pressure out of the keg,
try pouring a pint as you slowly turn the gas back on just enough to get a slow trickle. If you still get a glass of foam its over carbed.

If it is over carbed take it out of the fridge and leave the PRV open as the beer warms back up it will flatten. Then put back in fridge to chill and start again.

It could be a few things other than this. Have you balanced the system?

Cheers

cut lengths of beer line to 2 - 2.5 meters, set to 70kpa and wait until it carbs itself?
learn to walk before you run with scissors

There are 48l urns ?? PMSL

I work on the process of cooling keg down over night with a head of CO2 on it .. the following morning I turn the gas up to 300 on my reg and push the gas through the out post ... wait till the bubbling stops and remove gas from port.. let it sit for 24hrs and she is as good as gold... dont forget basic gas laws and to release top pressure before you start trying to put the gas line back onto the in post otherwise you may get a spurter from your reg and SWMBO will have your balls.... and not in a nice way ....

Back