Natural Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregos

Reaction score
Does anyone use Natural gas for brewing outside, if so what sort of burners are available and is there enough pressure?
I currently use a Bayou burner with 30psi Reg,not suitable for natural gas, looking at using natural gas now I have it plumbed outside.

G'day Gregos,

I bought a 20 jet Mongolian burner after l had natural gas plumbed to my deck.
I also use NG for the bbq.

Pressure wise l have no issues, in fact in the beginning the pressure was probably too high.
I was having to turn the ball valve right down to reduce the amount of heat that was being generated. Unfortunately, this then gave me sooting issues.

After a bit of trial and error by blanking out jets, l've now got it to where l want it.
Ended up blanking out 8, so now it's a 12 jet burner.
And l still need to turn it down a little once l get to the boil.

Cheers,
Scott

Pressure: NG is much lower operating pressure than LPG. The appliances are designed for it so don't worry about that but one of the reasons why you can't use one on the other. NG is lighter than air. LPG is heavier. What you need is a gas installer to install a bayonet gas connection near where you want to use your burner. The cost of this would more than likely out weigh the cost savings on the gas and you can't use it elsewhere. LPG is totally portable.There are a few different wok burners available for NG.

Jerry said:
G'day Gregos,

I bought a 20 jet Mongolian burner after l had natural gas plumbed to my deck.
I also use NG for the bbq.

Pressure wise l have no issues, in fact in the beginning the pressure was probably too high.
I was having to turn the ball valve right down to reduce the amount of heat that was being generated. Unfortunately, this then gave me sooting issues.

After a bit of trial and error by blanking out jets, l've now got it to where l want it.
Ended up blanking out 8, so now it's a 12 jet burner.
And l still need to turn it down a little once l get to the boil.

Cheers,
Scott
Thanks Scott, mate do you need or have an adjustable reg on your burner?
Cheers
Greg

Hey Greg,

No, don't have an adjustable regulator on the burner.
And sorry, not sure if one would help.

Having NG plumbed in can be expensive. It comes down to how long the run (pipe length) needs to be, and the diameter of the pipe.
It's not always as simple as branching off from the nearest existing gas line.
In my case we had to go all the way back to the gas meter and run a separate pipe. The reason for this was to ensure l had enough pressure to generate enough heat.

It wasn't cheap to do at the time, but for me, the convenience of not having to muck around with LPG bottles anymore was worth it.

And NG is much cheaper than LPG.

Cheers,

Scott

Jerry said:
Hey Greg,

No, don't have an adjustable regulator on the burner.
And sorry, not sure if one would help.

Having NG plumbed in can be expensive. It comes down to how long the run (pipe length) needs to be, and the diameter of the pipe.
It's not always as simple as branching off from the nearest existing gas line.
In my case we had to go all the way back to the gas meter and run a separate pipe. The reason for this was to ensure l had enough pressure to generate enough heat.

It wasn't cheap to do at the time, but for me, the convenience of not having to muck around with LPG bottles anymore was worth it.

And NG is much cheaper than LPG.

Cheers,

Scott
Hi Scott,

I already have NG plumbed outside, 2 bayonet fittings, one I use for my BBQ and the other hopefully for running a burner fro brewing off when I sort out what to buy, I currently use a Bayou burner with LPG, I just want to switch my brewing onto NG if I can,eliminate bottle refills

Greg

Ahhh, so you do!

Should learn to read posts properly...... :)

Go for it mate. You'll save heaps.

Scott

And any running costs should be easily absorbed into regular household funds, keeping the minister happy to approve other purchases.

The burner will have an appliance regulator with it which you should not adjust. It is pre set for that particular burner design. You also need to know what the BTU rating is for your outlet. It may not be capable of running a wok burner. You really do need to speak to a licenced gas installer rather than just trying to wing it. There is more to it than you seem to realise.

Back