Nasa Burner Blowing Out Etc?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Gd'day folks,

I bought a NASA burner from beerbelly a week or so ago and have used it once...and now just putting it on for the second time and it seems to want to blow out and not burn with a nice strong pressure flame.

At 1st I had my keggle just sitting on the NASA frame but this seemed to hinder air flow and it would not get a very good stream of flame going.

Now I have put some bricks between the keggle and the frame and seems to be better but when I ramp the pressure up parts of the ring sort of blow them selves out...then they come back then they blow out again.

Sorry about the bad description but is this normal?? Could this be because its new and it just needs to be burnt in a few times?

Cheers, Pok

NASA.jpg

You haven't had a boil over Pok? That can cause carbon to build up in the jets.

Nope....boil has got that vigorous yet. Only used it once last week (first use ..bought it that day) and just turned it on now to get a brew going today.

Whatabout the circular plate that allows air mixing at the valve? Is it out of whack?

Doesn't really seem to do much.

However the burner seems to be running better now. Might just be the virgin in it cause it grief. Got to take it slow and steady.

Pok

That's a very large gap between the burner and the kettle Pok.

I got wayne to weld 3 lugs onto the nasa frame so that the kettle sits right on top which reduces the amount of wind that can get in and upset the flame.

Saves you using the bricks.

Did you give the nasa frame a 15 min run to burn off the paint and then go at it with a wire brush? Could be that some of the paint may have dropped in partly blocking the holes?

EDIT - spelling

Nope....boil has got that vigorous yet. Only used it once last week (first use ..bought it that day) and just turned it on now to get a brew going today.

After a good burn with it you need to take it apart and wire brush all the paint that has come off.
It can clog the burner holes. A bit of a pita, but at least it is only held together with one bolt, and
is only two pieces.
Once clean it won't do it again.

Cheers,
Bud

The clean sounds like a good idea.

I will do that after this brew...don't really have time to stuff around with it atm...seems to be working well now though. Maybe I cried wolf too early

Bought myself a nasa a month or so ago and had the same problem. As bud has already suggested give it a clean, from memory the burner part is in two, the plate with the groves for outing the gas, and the rest of the burner assembly. the underside of the little plate needs a rub down with a wire brush to remove all the paint thats melted its way down and she'll bur great. Are you using a high preassure reg?

Cheers

Aaron

Bought myself a nasa a month or so ago and had the same problem. As bud has already suggested give it a clean, from memory the burner part is in two, the plate with the groves for outing the gas, and the rest of the burner assembly. the underside of the little plate needs a rub down with a wire brush to remove all the paint thats melted its way down and she'll bur great. Are you using a high preassure reg?

Cheers

Aaron

I'm using a medium pressure reg that I got from beerbelly when I bought the burner. Its the red one on this page http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html

Ive noticed with mine it will blow out if I crank it up too high when its cold. Once its been running for a few mins & is warmed up, I can crank it full pelt.

Hey Pok
As others have already posted, you need to clean the jet the work of minutes. Looking at the photo I'm also surprised how much paint you've still got on the frame, Mine all melted off in a toxic cloud within a few minutes of firing the burner up.

cheers

grant

Well she is going flat chat now...got up to boil in a flash aswell.

Gas deffinatley wins over elec!!!

Pok

Latest posts

Back