My Own Mini Craft Beer Festival For Xmas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
i'm gonna be away from my kegs at christmas :( but got a bit of spare money left so i thought i'd buy a few different beers from dans (about 40 :party: )
the obvious choices so far are rogers, lcba, stone and wood pacific lager, fat yak. jsga and fifty lashes(a bit bland)
can anyone recomend some good ones, i have tried james squire porter but not a big fan.
which sierra nevada beer is the better one?
p.s. merry christmas all.

i'm gonna be away from my kegs at christmas :( but got a bit of spare money left so i thought i'd buy a few different beers from dans (about 40 :party: )
the obvious choices so far are rogers, lcba, stone and wood pacific lager, fat yak. jsga and fifty lashes(a bit bland)
can anyone recomend some good ones, i have tried james squire porter but not a big fan.
which sierra nevada beer is the better one?
p.s. merry christmas all.

if you really want to splurge, blow it on hookers and champagne

All Sierra Nevada beers are great. Just get the style you like the most. Splurge on some nice belgians (chimay, duvel etc) and some german hefe's.

Torpedo IPA.

Have a try of Brisbane bitter, if you've got it up there. BribieG (who's older than me and this beer) reckons it really demonstrates how dumbed down megaswill has become. I'd tend to agree - it's a former megaswill, but actually has some decent body and a good lot of bitterness with a malty backbone. It's not setting the world on fire, but at his behest, I tried it to see what his point was.

Anything from Murrays should be there. Burleigh's 28 Pale Ale isn't bad, Erdinger Weissbier, Zwiec porter (not the weather, but it's 9.2%), Kosciuzko Pale Ale, Burleigh Hef (really easy to drink), Monteith's Original Ale, Endeavour Pale or Amber Ale. Off memory, that'll do. Have a look at their online catalogue, you might get some more ideas. Anything Belgian, Dans has this $4.99 dubbel which is really really nice - a little unchallenging, but very tasty and more suited to the weather. 4 Pines Kolsch is usually at Dans as well.

Don't be surprised if it's all a bit meh. After brewing such punchy APAs - commercial APA seem a lot more bland that they used to. Not their fault, they can't afford to put out a product with the grain and hop bill I do, and still turn a profit. And Dan's doesn't have a commercial Roggenwie, like the one I make. I'm not saying I'm a fantastic brewer, but not paying the alcohol excise and not having to turn a profit, means I can make beer that simply isn't available commercially.

Sorry to send it slightly OT.

Goomba

Last time I was at DM's I got these: a 6 pack of the SNPA, and a Best of British Ales (or something like that) pack that had the other 4 in it. I enjoyed the shit out of all of them :)

IMAG0090.jpg

The sierra nevada hefe isn't that good, the torpedo is the pick of the bunch.

Had one sitting in the fridge for the last couple of days.

Might try it when I get home from the cricket tonight.

Goomba

Hey Goomba, tell us what you think of it.

I've been told that it is their Pale Ale re-branded....I don't agree with that at all. I taste a sort of Orange/Jaffa taste to it. Bloody delicious though!!!

Id be tempted to grab (in no particular order):

Punk IPA
Punk 77 lager (i think its called anyway) very similar hop profile just a little less overall of it.
28Pale
Knappstein
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Pilsner Urquel or Trumer Pils
Murrays Pale Ale

and one CAN of West End Draught to remind you how much better the other beers on this list are....make sure you drink it last...

Apparently, according to the bottle it uses (IIRC) Riwaka & Motueka - which are both very new NZ hops. They've made it abundantly clear that it's chock-full (well for a commercial beer, that is) with NZ hops.

The old one was inclined toward American hops - the stuff of more traditional craft APAs.

Goomba

PS. Oh and add Pepperjacks to the list. Always a nice drop.

Get a six pack of Torpedos .. And sit back and enjoy the numbness .. Best beer I have had in ages .. Beautiful like the first time I kissed a beautiful woman.. Like the first time I .... You know what I am getting at .. Or you will after 6 beers ... Have a great Xmas .. Enjoy the beerz

well you could sift through review of commercial beers on this thread and see what takes your fancy or here are some more examples. some (or a large proportion you'd have to go to purvis or another great bottlo to source).

Bridge Road Brewers Chevalier Biere De Garde Strong Ale
Cantillon Gueuze Bio
Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen Smoke Beer -
Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Weizen Smoke Beer
St Bernardus Prior 8
St Bernardus 12
Trappistes Rochefort 8
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Murrays Anniversary Ale 3
Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
Dragon Stout
Brok (Poland)
Breznak
Zlatopramen
Tuatara Brewing Pilsner from New Zealand.
Weihenstephaner Festbier
Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock
Rogue Choc Stout
Brew Dog Imperial Porter
Murrays Pale ale.
Mikkeller It's Alright!
Mikkeller Not Just Another Wit
Mikkeller Jackie Brown
Mikkeller Draft Bear
Mikkeller All Others Pale
Mikkeller Monks Elixir
Flying Dog's Double Dog - double pale ale.
Oaked Arogant *******
Unibroue 17

well you could sift through review of commercial beers on this thread and see what takes your fancy or here are some more examples. some (or a large proportion you'd have to go to purvis or another great bottlo to source).

Bridge Road Brewers Chevalier Biere De Garde Strong Ale
Cantillon Gueuze Bio
Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen Smoke Beer -
Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Weizen Smoke Beer
St Bernardus Prior 8
St Bernardus 12
Trappistes Rochefort 8
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Murrays Anniversary Ale 3
Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
Dragon Stout
Brok (Poland)
Breznak
Zlatopramen
Tuatara Brewing Pilsner from New Zealand.
Weihenstephaner Festbier
Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock
Rogue Choc Stout
Brew Dog Imperial Porter
Murrays Pale ale.
Mikkeller It's Alright!
Mikkeller Not Just Another Wit
Mikkeller Jackie Brown
Mikkeller Draft Bear
Mikkeller All Others Pale
Mikkeller Monks Elixir
Flying Dog's Double Dog - double pale ale.
Oaked Arogant *******
Unibroue 17

Dont think you'll to many of those at DM Milo :ph34r:

Didn't type all that from your iphone did you?
nup lol. no spelling mistakes

Dont think you'll to many of those at DM Milo :ph34r:

.........some (or a large proportion you'd have to go to purvis or another great bottlo to source).

moving on milo. id dump things like james squire and go anything that you havent tried. try all the sierras if you want. its all good to get a range of flavoirs. leave the regular stuff for another time

Torpedo IPA.

Have a try of Brisbane bitter, if you've got it up there. BribieG (who's older than me and this beer) reckons it really demonstrates how dumbed down megaswill has become. I'd tend to agree - it's a former megaswill, but actually has some decent body and a good lot of bitterness with a malty backbone. It's not setting the world on fire, snip.

Goomba

Well I am glad that I am not the only one that finds this Limited Edition Brisbane Bitter to be quite a decent quaffer. I am a tight arse and dont like to spend my money on mega commercial beers but after drinking the test sixpack was quite happy to handover the cash for a carton on my recent work away week. Good beer hopefully they make it a standard.

Cheers

Was there any ******* ambiguity? Of course it's my opinion.

Phwoar... I was merely trying to show this poster that your assertion was contrary to the views held by the majority of beer enthusiasts.

Back