My New Crankand Stein Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry chaps, the above site is not the one I had in mind, Try again when i can find. DonMac.

Confirm. Correct site. www.web.net/~valley/valleymill.html Click on to motorizing a malt mill by Mike Dixon. Donmac.

Well its been a while now and i have finally pulled my finger out and had a go at re making my grain mill. My first attempt worked ok but it made it a two man job to crack grain which defeats the purpose of trying to make the grain mill as i want it to be a one man operation also as i had the mill mounted underneath inside the bucket if i had the gap set to narrow i could not change it at all unless i tipped the hopper over and that made a mess. Also the hopper was never really fitted to the base and kept falling of ( thats why it was a two person job).

Any way i picked up a ten inch pully from my old man and also the bench. School is back so now i got time to play around when i have no work on. This is what i came up with.

Just right of the calender is my grain mill setup if you can make it out.

DSC00152.JPG

I had a few small problems starting to rush it to try and have it done my days end was not helping much. I need to add some long legs to it so i can get a bucket under it. Also i had a big bolt holding the pully to the shaft and did not take this into account when i turned it on so i just quickly cut the corners of. I will fix this when i need to give the mill a clean. Also i mounted the motor on hinges to give it some lift and pull the belt tight but have not yet worked out what to use to do this. Im sure it will come to me soon. In the top picture you can see i jammed i screw driver in it to try and give some lift.

DSC00155.JPG

Any ideas for this problem i am happy to take on board but i was thinking a wing nut and bolt so i can adjust the pressure as needed then release when not in use.

Yes i know splleign is not good. :)

Thats the worst setup ever....Whats with the REFLECTION on the rest of the calander!!!

oh yea your grain mill looks the ducks nuts.

Heya Lokpikin. That looks sensational. :beerbang:

In regards to your hinges. I just attached a couple to some melamine and mounted the motor to it. I just let the weight of the motor push back on the belt for tension. Doesn't need tightening down this way as the motor is ancient and weighs a bloody tonne.

Pic should explain it all. the metal shelving bracket serves no purpose but to stop sideways movement of the motor.

Hope this helps.

Warren -

04022008146.jpg

Hi Folks
I uploaded a very amateur video of my crankandstein 3D in action for another AHB member and figure it may be of interest to others.

Gripping Youtube action...
Enoch

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back