My Immersion Heater Stopped Working, What Now?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
Recipe:
1.7Kg Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1.0Kg Aussie Brewmakers "Beer Improver"
1 x Morgans Tea Bag Hops - Pride of Ringwood
15g Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast

Open fermentation.

Set my ideal brewing temp (22 degrees) on my immersion heater and away I went as per normal... went from 1040 to 1020 in a couple of days but has been sitting on 1020 for almost a week. Checked it today and it has moved to 1018. All the visual signs look good.

Any general suggestions?

I'm thinking just to wrap it up in blankets and hopefully it will keep fermenting without going bad.
Cheers guys and gals.

Recipe:
1.7Kg Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1.0Kg Aussie Brewmakers "Beer Improver"
1 x Morgans Tea Bag Hops - Pride of Ringwood
15g Brew Cellar Premium Ale Yeast

Open fermentation.

Set my ideal brewing temp (22 degrees) on my immersion heater and away I went as per normal... went from 1040 to 1020 in a couple of days but has been sitting on 1020 for almost a week. Checked it today and it has moved to 1018. All the visual signs look good.

Any general suggestions?

I'm thinking just to wrap it up in blankets and hopefully it will keep fermenting without going bad.
Cheers guys and gals.

If you kept everything clean, etc. it shouldn't go bad if left longer.
I'd leave it longer, another week or so. You could 'rack it' into another fermenter, should you have one handy. Be very careful not to introduce any bacteria or wild yeast in the process though. Alternatively, rouse the yeast by shaking the whole fermenter. Don't do your back in, just swirl it around in one direction until you get a good whirlpool, then go back in the other direction... that might kick them back into action a bit too.

Kieran

Latest posts

Back