My First A.g Tomorrow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all who have helped me with info, thoughts and advice its greatly appreciated. This forum is such a friendly place and so many people here will to share there hard earned knowledge without hesitation.... heres to you all :beer:

Yesterday went like this.... (below is the recipe link) sorry have no idea how to do one of those click here things

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=301

Hit mash temp accurately without any adjustment, tun dropped only one degree within the hour.

when sparging i added enough water to make up two even amounts (i know that sounds retarded) i had 15lt strike allowed for 5 lt absorb and had 23 sparge water so 10 plus 23 = 33 divided by 2. so i added 6.5 lts for the first run making up to 16.5 (in theory) then added the remaining 16.5 for the second run.

boiled for 90mins once boil had commenced.

used immersion cooler to get it down below 25 degrees, racked to fermenter where i notice 9 lts missing ( i used a strainer for this as i needed every drop i could get.

pitched yeast. commenced clean up.

Notes for next time.

1. I need to dial in the losses for my gear, boil mash ect
2. I needed to measure how much i actually collect into the kettle...

for those of you reading thinking about AG 111642207_209431da42.jpg111642207_209431da42.jpg

Other than that the process went pretty smooth, if your an organised person this is not a hard thing to do if you are following a recipe.

I wrote everything i planned to do down and i tell you what the flaws that made obvious to me probably saved me ballsing yesterday up so its not a bad idea till you get used to it im going to continue for at least the next few.

Follow up questions,

A whole lot of stuff came out into the fermenter (im assuming a lot of it was the hop pellets. i did strain into the fermenter and caught a lot of it but there is still about an inch around the bottom of the fermenter.

a/ should i strain into the fermenter?
b/ is all that stuff in the fermenter a problem?
c/do i need a false bottom in the kettle or is there another way? because ATM its just a tap.
d/ was a 90min boil necessary?
i think thats it for now... im sure ill stalk you all later.

restepa

Gareth

sooooo this may sound wierd.... but should my first AG thats currently in the ferm smell so good? compared to the K & Ks ive been doing? smells sensational

It'll smell better, and taste better too!

yo trevc you got an AG JSGA recipe that your happy with?

Try Dr Smurto's Golden Ale.

Most rated and talked about recipe in the community, and is based on JSGA. Doesn't Smurto know it too, snide ******* :)

sooooo this may sound wierd.... but should my first AG thats currently in the ferm smell so good? compared to the K & Ks ive been doing? smells sensational

Yet another brewer ascends to the ranks of AG. (Almost Godlike) Well done. :super: So much better than kit and kilo, mind you there's still merit in LME if you get it fresh and not as a kit...

Wait till you do a lager or even some hefeweisen's, sometimes they produce a bit of sulfur, you may not find that smelling so good during the ferment!

Latest posts

Back