Murray Water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewped

Reaction score
Hi all

I am hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction here. I am a new brewer and have put down an attempt at a Fat Yak style beer. I put it together using a tin of Coopers Real Ale, some brew enhancer from my LHBS and made my debut boiling some Cascade and Nelson Sauvin pellets after reading some posts on this site. After boiling the hop pellets, I put the mixture through the coffee plunger to strain out the big stuff before tipping the rest into the fermenter.

It has been in the fermenter now for 7 days and my concern is that when I take a small sample out of the fermenter it is the same colour as the River Murray. Should the sediment from the hops have settled by now? Or should I just bottle and let the sediment settle in the bottle?

Thanks for any help.

Brewped

Never 'just bottle'. Has it finished fermenting?

I just used the yeast in the real ale kit. It has now been in the fermenter for 7 days and am going to ensure consistent SG readings before bottling.

let it sit at least a week longer and it will be clearer than ever

What Barls said.

I tend to leave brews for at least a week after primary fermentation has finished. The cloudy 'murray water' is just beer with the yeast still in suspension (although i've never pressed hops through a plunger, so can't comment on that). The yeast will settle and you beer will clear. Once bottled and primed, it will clear more.

Once fermentation is complete, if you are able to, you can chill the fermenter for a few days in the fridge which will accelerate the yeast dropping out as well. It'll only be yeast, not hops.

Once fermentation is complete, if you are able to, you can chill the fermenter for a few days in the fridge which will accelerate the yeast dropping out as well. It'll only be yeast, not hops.

that's great. Thanks for the help guys. I will leave it in the fermenter another week or so and then chill the fermenter in my second fridge. It smells great so don't want to do anything to ruin it now.

that's great. Thanks for the help guys. I will leave it in the fermenter another week or so and then chill the fermenter in my second fridge. It smells great so don't want to do anything to ruin it now.

Or/and use gelatine finings. Unflavoured gelatin is easy to get from the shops and works as a great fining agent.

I used the CountryBrewer recipe for FatYak on Wednesday.. Mine looks like this!

img1051y.jpg

Back