Moving To Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxmcbain

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Just need some help will be moving to kegs soon. do I have to leave the beer to age before kegging or do I put it in the keg gas it up and start drinking. I leave my beer a few weeks after bottling to get better before drinking

Hi Guys
Just need some help will be moving to kegs soon. do I have to leave the beer to age before kegging or do I put it in the keg gas it up and start drinking. I leave my beer a few weeks after bottling to get better before drinking

Unfortunately, the answer is 'depends'.

It depends on which method you use to carb your keg - if you force carb it will be ready to go immediately. If you naturally carb, it will take a few weeks.

It also depends on the style - some styles are good to drink right away, others benefit from a little aging regardless of whether they are bottled or kegged (e.g. lagers, strong ales, and just about every kit beer Ive ever tried).

In the keg - its basically a big bottle with a tap on it :)

I can't remember who posted it - NickB maybe - searching but no joy - someone on here uses plastic jerry cans to mature or lager their brews for awhile before kegging and tapping. I thought that was a great idea and very similar to a commercial brewery's bright tanks.

I was thinking of using jerry cans they would store nicely in the cupboard

Hi Guys

Hi, It also depends on your beer type. I usually do Ales so after the brew has fermented, I siphon it inot my keg, force carb it for 36 hours in the fridge and it is then ready to drink. It will be cloudy, but that will clear after about 5 days to pub bright under refridgeration and carbonation.

Short answer is if you foece carb the keg, it is ready as soon as it is chilled and carbed.
Bubba

Hi, It also depends on your beer type. I usually do Ales so after the brew has fermented, I siphon it inot my keg, force carb it for 36 hours in the fridge and it is then ready to drink. It will be cloudy, but that will clear after about 5 days to pub bright under refridgeration and carbonation.

Short answer is if you foece carb the keg, it is ready as soon as it is chilled and carbed.
Bubba

Hi all,

I age my beer in kegs, and also lager in the Keg. I did a coopers European lager, and kept at 3-4C for 12 weeks, and 2 weeks under serving pressure. It so far has been the best lager that I have done. Maturing your beer is a personal thing, once it is carb'd you can consume it right away, however I personally don't as the flavour gets better the longer you leave it - 3 months easy!. Ultimately this is only a good thing if you have enough fridge space and more than 2 kegs.

Back