Moving Out Of Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batemanbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've been brewing for a while but I've only just stumbled upon this site.
In the past I've only ever brewed from kits and I've been wanting to brew from scratch for a while but I don't really know what I'm in for.
I've watched a few youtube videos and gotten kind of an idea but I'm wondering if I might be better off asking for help here.

I'm fairly sure I have all the equipment I need: several fermenters, sanitizing and capping equipment, a giant cooking pot and all the bits and pieces needed to make kit beer but I'm not 100% on exactly what I'll need ingredients-wise. Obviously it'll change from recipe to recipe but if someone could outline a basic recipe for brewing without a kit with a detailed method for me that'd be great.

I'm almost positive there'll be another thread about this on here but I can't find it. Feel free to direct me to it and delete this post.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

Welcome to AHB

There is heaps of info under articles
Look under
Beginner Partials/AG
Making the move from Kits to AG

There is also a method know as BIAB (Brew In A Bag). It's an excellent way to get into AG brewing without having to have all the extra gear. There's heaps of info on this site for BIAG

I can recommend is to have a read of http://www.howtobrew.com/

QldKev

Hey guys

In the past I've only ever brewed from kits and I've been wanting to brew from scratch for a while but I don't really know what I'm in for.
I've watched a few youtube videos and gotten kind of an idea but I'm wondering if I might be better off asking for help here.

I'm fairly sure I have all the equipment I need: several fermenters, sanitizing and capping equipment, a giant cooking pot and all the bits and pieces needed to make kit beer but I'm not 100% on exactly what I'll need ingredients-wise. Obviously it'll change from recipe to recipe but if someone could outline a basic recipe for brewing without a kit with a detailed method for me that'd be great.

I'm almost positive there'll be another thread about this on here but I can't find it. Feel free to direct me to it and delete this post.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

G'day Mitch

Where are you from? Apart from reading on here I found the best way to get that hang of grain brewing is to go round to someone near you. They will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

Have a search for Partial Mashing. This is the next step from kits where you mash a few kilos of grains, extract the wort and boil it along with hop additions as well as adding the tin of goop.

Cheers
Steve

Cheers for the help guys.
I'm gonna make a start during this week so hopefully I don't stuff it up too much.
I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
Mitch

Hey guys

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

The links and advice above are good. You can also research extract brewing. Kits contain malt extract plus bittering and flavour hops pre-mixed. With extract brewing you start with the malt extract and build your own profile using hops. Partial mashing incorporates that but also uses some base grain.

Extract will teach you about boils and hop additions and so on without the extra fussing with grain to begin (although I highly recommend grain - just making a suggestion if you want to keep it simple to start).

Either is a great way to start controlling the final outcome and getting better tasting beers.
Whichever way you go, good luck and loads of info to be found here and elsewhere. Check out QLDKev's link to how to brew for everything from basic extract brewing tips to more technical All Grain brewing tips. Best, simple guide out there really and probably the best place to start.

I'd go with Manticle's advice with the extract. It's not really any harder than kits & you get way more control over yr beer. Having said that, I'm going to try Nick's $30 BIAB plan once I can get my hands on a suitable 12-15L fermenter. I'd do it in a 30L fermenter. But I don't think I could handle looking at a half empty fermenter.

Mitch, some great advice here from guys that have been there & done that.
If you're game, go with the BIAB. AG really isn't that difficult at all and the results will blow you away. Nick's guide (linked above) is a great place to start but if you find you don't like it, the 19L stockpot ($20 from big double ewe) can still be used for extract boils. If you want to go BIAB with more depth, then Pat's guide should detail everything.
As far as recipes go, lots of novice AGers have cut their teeth on Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (DSGA), a simple recipe with only one type of hops. AHB Sponsors (banner at the top of the page) can supply all the ingredients you need rapidly to anywhere in the country and beyond. Don't be afraid of posting here before you start (eg. with a recipe), one of the best ways to avoid the uncertainty in trying something new is to ask around. I think you're on to that though!

Hatchy, don't fart around with small fermenters, go all the way! Perhaps do it in two stages- pour the first half batch through a big strainer (yes pour, HSA seems to be just a fairy tale at home brewing scales) into a sanitised fermenter (tap fitted, but check it regularly) while it is hot, pop it into the laundry tub to cool with a few changes of water. Then start straight away on your second batch the same as the first, add the two together when the second is cooled and you'll have a full fermenter. Easy way to get into full- sized AG!
Maybe go for dunk sparge + over- gravity boils later, I do this regularly in a 19L stockpot for >23L batches, the time it takes is then roughly halved.

My 2c, hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Edit: Clarity.

Back