Mountain Goat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginsoakedstranger

Reaction score
HI all, just tucking into my first Mountain Goat beer, the Steam Ale. Must say I'm mighty impressed.
It says on the bottle that they use "an all natural brewing process that incorporates cool fermentation and a hit of wheat malt"

An ale brewed at lager tempratures? or close?

I'm interested because it is also bottle conditioned and after tasting this brew I think I would very much like to harvest this yeast and do some experimentation.
Any one know more, or have you harvested yeast from a Mountain Goat? ....(I tried once, kicked like a mule..haha)

I know that they are fans of dry yeast for their regular beers (Hightail and Steam). I reckon it's most likely US-05 mate.

US-05 at cool temperatures (15-16C) can make pseudo lagers no problems.

You're best bet would be Wyeast 2112 California Lager ... it's the yeast for Steam Beer / Cal Common. Ferment around 14C. I've found it to be a pretty versatile yeast, dry and crisp at 12C and a little fruity at 16C.

I thought the Goat Steam it was a pretty average beer... the bottle was old though.

Did a tour there a while back, brewer said she uses us05.

Dave

I thought the Goat Steam it was a pretty average beer... the bottle was old though.

I've had some average bottle from Dan's in Sydney too. I used to live around the corner from the brewery and it's great on tap, a nice hit of late galaxy with a clean body.

Cheers for the info..US-05 that surprises me, guess it's pretty pointless getting out of the bottle then.
I got mine from Richmond so I'm guessing it was pretty fresh. I liked it, clean and tasty

Those are good beers mate. Their hightail ale was my staple along with coopers green. Goat when I had more cash, coopers pale when a bit short. I for one don't think beer has to be complicated to be good, some good simple flavours and a non pungent smell. Hey, I'd be happy if I can consistently crank out goat :)

I agree. I'll have to give the Hightail a go.
CPA's my standard traveller for the ride home from work. Can't beat $5 for a longneck of a quality drop.

Back