Most Commonly Used Grains To Bulk Buy.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sack of Joe white ale was about $32 for 25kg sack, but went up to around $38 last BB. Which is about $1.52/kg, compare that with retail per kg price and its pretty good.

As for a mill, you can get one from the states pretty cheap, buy with a friend and you can half postage.

I own a mill and I bulk buy.
BUT there are pros and cons to both.

Cons of buying in bulk is storage. Say you buy 5 sacks of grain - thats 125kgs it takes up a fair amount of space and can attract vermin. Also how quickly will you churn through that grain.
You will still need to buy smaller quantities of spec malts (I buy in 1 and 2kg lots) again more storage. You also need a mill and that takes up more space - especially if you motorize it. Its also an additional cost. Ignore these $200 mills by the time you set it up with a hopper base, crank handle or drill or motor your going to be looking the best part of $400 or more.
$400 buy a lot of freshly cracked grain delivered from brewers den, G&G, Craftbrewer, Beerbelly etc.
Your still going to be ordering hops and more than likely yeasts so your not really going to save on delivery.

I still buy recipe lots of grain reasonably often - mostly cause its easy. I'll normally order unmilled because then I dont have to worry too much about when I'm going to get a chance to brew - but if I didnt have a mill it wouldnt be a great stress.

Food for though

Just concentrate on bases
Joe White or Barrett Burston Ale for the American
Golden Promise of Marris Otter for the English
Weyermann or Joe White Pilsner for the Euros (Lagers, Belgians etc)
Half sack of Munich and/or Wheat is always handy too

+10

Except, the Joe White/BB Ale is probably good for Aussie ales/lagers too ;)

I buy my specialty grain in 500g and 1KG lots from craftbrewer etc whenever I need to bulk out an order ;)

Ha Ha yeh Im sure he will. He could hold my hand while he does it too.... :)
I'd bloody well need to - you wouldn't work out how to use the crank otherwise.

Looks like I am very close to you, though. You could probably run a batch through my mill if you get caught short.

Just a guess, but I suspect large amounts of grain are probably good humidity sponges.

Was 25kg out of the kiln ... then it was exposed to real RH %ages.

Or, they like to give away 10% for free ... I'd like to believe they'd prefer to retain those millions yearly.

fyi -
thanks to bradsbrew's SEQ grain bulk buy
i got my first bulk grain = 4 x 25kg sacks of grain

2 x barretts (aus) (pale malt + wheat malt)
2x fawcetts (uk) (maris otter + golden promise)

both barretts came to 27.1 kg per sack
both fawcetts came to 27.4 kg per sack

so i was quite happy with the price of bulk grain but even happier with an extra 9 kg that i didnt factor into my budget.
thats 2 extra 20 litre brews of grain.
View attachment 54780
cheap kmart bathroom scales seem to be accurate .

bulk grain is great :icon_cheers:

You haven't checked them at 25KG range

Latest posts

Back