Morgan's Sanitiza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
I did it again when I crash chilled my belgian ale I sucked in 250ml into the fermenter. It contains hydrogen peroxide is it still safe to drink?

Most over counter hydrogen peroxide are already diluted to 4% - 6%.
​If you have diluted it again in a 23 lt bucket then yes - safe BUT - and huge BUT....
Check your original product dilution and let your taste buds be a guide, If it tastes bad - chuck it and start again. Better to loose 23 lts than your life.

Then again - better to chuck it - just in case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Thanks mate will se how it tastes and go from there.
Cheers

If i'm wrong in assuming that you have some sort of air lock filled with weird shit above your fermenter, ignore the rest of this post.

But if i'm right:

Gladwrap is non-toxic.

Replace whatever arcane contraption containing 250mL of dubiously food safe liquid with a sheet of gladwrap. Just as airlocky, definitely less peroxidey

I'd be more concerned about the ingress of air and the subsequent risk of oxidation. Seal your vessel when chilling.

The peroxide will react with orgaics in the beer, oxidising them. There will be no peroxide left, but you have oxygenated your beer and produced a whole bunch of nasty off flavours.
Safe to drink = yes,
tastes good = maybe not, depends how much peroxide was left in the airlock, it's possible you have sucked water into your beer.

Back