Morgans Lager & Coopers Amber, Any Predictions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiealex

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I finally got my butt into gear and started brewing again... I went to the store and the nice old italian fella suggested this combo as I love james Squiers Amber.

I placed the two tins contents in a pot of warm\hot, stirred till not thick, started the yeast (morgans lager) in a glass of warmish water with sugar. It was fermenting in the glass after a few minutes.

Pitched it all, and got the tub on a heat pad. In a towel. (canberra is cold)

The initial gravity was 1040 and it tasted beautiful. Its sitting on about 22o. Im pretty excited. Any ideas of its taste will be?

On a foot note, after 24 hours, there's no evidence of bubbling in the air lock, is that a worry?

Cheers

Alex

Hi Guys

I finally got my butt into gear and started brewing again... I went to the store and the nice old italian fella suggested this combo as I love james Squiers Amber.

I placed the two tins contents in a pot of warm\hot, stirred till not thick, started the yeast (morgans lager) in a glass of warmish water with sugar. It was fermenting in the glass after a few minutes.

Pitched it all, and got the tub on a heat pad. In a towel. (canberra is cold)

The initial gravity was 1040 and it tasted beautiful. Its sitting on about 22o. Im pretty excited. Any ideas of its taste will be?

On a foot note, after 24 hours, there's no evidence of bubbling in the air lock, is that a worry?

Cheers

Alex

You probably just have a gas leak in your fermenter, no biggie just take another sample in a day or 2 to make sure its dropping in gravity. In regards to what its going to taste like your hydro samples should be a good start.

EDIT: Too tired to realise he posted this twice

Not sure of the proper specs of the Morgans Lager yeast, but if it's a proper lager yeast, they work best at lower temperatures. Ale yeasts best around 18-22c (I've had some down to 16c), and lagers around 9-15c. (ballpark figures)
Canberra this time of year would be perfect for brewing proper lagers!

Anyway, I'm sure your kit will turn out fine. The amber malt would be interesting with the lager.
Don't worry about an airlock that doesn't bubble. Just take hydrometer readings. And be patient.

Latest posts

Back