Morgans Chairmans Selection Cortes Cervesa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoidberg99

Reaction score
Hi all

I put a brew down of the Morgans Chairmans Selection Cortes Cervesa about a week and a half ago. However, during my most recent SG test, i noticed a boarderline off smell with the brew. I cont tell if it is off or just strong in flavour. The yeast has been working, OG was 1040, Currently sitting at 1018 after 12 days in the brew. I used the supplied European Lager Yeast (Brewcellar) and the COuntry Brewers Brew booster (1kg)(500g dextrose, 250g light malt, 250g Maltodextrin)

The smell is a bit yeasty, a bit hoppy, but like a said, It is boarderline off.

Should i bottle it and see how It goes? has anyone else had simmilar issues with this extract?

BTW, The extract smelt very hopppy, much more than usual. I have not used this brand before now.

if it is a sulfourous smell - like eggs - it is common with lager yeasts. no need to fret it will die down during fermentation and secondary

Hi all

I put a brew down of the Morgans Chairmans Selection Cortes Cervesa about a week and a half ago. However, during my most recent SG test, i noticed a boarderline off smell with the brew. I cont tell if it is off or just strong in flavour. The yeast has been working, OG was 1040, Currently sitting at 1018 after 12 days in the brew. I used the supplied European Lager Yeast (Brewcellar) and the COuntry Brewers Brew booster (1kg)(500g dextrose, 250g light malt, 250g Maltodextrin)

The smell is a bit yeasty, a bit hoppy, but like a said, It is boarderline off.

Should i bottle it and see how It goes? has anyone else had simmilar issues with this extract?

BTW, The extract smelt very hopppy, much more than usual. I have not used this brand before now.

I've put this one down a couple of times - nice and hoppy. Bottled was better for me than force carbed. Only problem is that is doesn't last long once ready to drink! :icon_cheers:

It could do without the citris flavour addition IMO.
Based on your gravity it doesn't sound like it has finished fermenting. I wouldn't touch it untill it gets down to at least 1.010.
The smell you are experiencing is probably the lager yeast. This is normal.

It could do without the citris flavour addition IMO.
Based on your gravity it doesn't sound like it has finished fermenting. I wouldn't touch it untill it gets down to at least 1.010.
The smell you are experiencing is probably the lager yeast. This is normal.

Each to their own taste Axl! I am impressed that finally someone has made a hoppy kit and not gone with the bland. Not for everyone, but a nice change.

Cheers,

InCider.

Hi all

I put a brew down of the Morgans Chairmans Selection Cortes Cervesa about a week and a half ago. However, during my most recent SG test, i noticed a boarderline off smell with the brew.

zoidberg (is that german?) do you use tank water? i once had a funy smell in my beer, bloody hell it was a dead bird got inta the tank

zoidberg (is that german?) do you use tank water? i once had a funy smell in my beer, bloody hell it was a dead bird got inta the tank

A dead bird got into your tank!! I've got this vision of a dead bird crawling round the roof and dropping in the tank......
Either way, that must have stunk.....

TPD

The SG is down to about 1016 atm. I have a bit more confidence in it now, so thanks, ill update when i get it to tasting stage.

I use filtered tap water. I cant imagine birds are a common ingredient! and Zoidberg isn't German, its a Crab Man.

Cheers

I bottled mine 12 days ago .. bugger it ive thrown a couple in the fridge.. LHBS this is close you will get to the real thing..
IVe been told well worth a few extra $$$ ..
good work

they will be green as lol i remeber chuking my coopers draught in fridge after 1-2 weeks tasted it tasted putred thought thats how it would stay, month an half later and its all good lol

Back