Morestupid ? From A Newbie Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve the pom

Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone out there know if a home brew can ferment out in 2 days flat ? I started a coopers stout a couple of days ago followed all the instructions and placed the fermenter in the laundry when I went back to have a look a few hours later it was going hell for leather & bubbling like a volcano the thermometer was showing a temp of around 28 the following morning it seemed to have stopped and I have not seen a lot of activity since , drew of a sample this morning and had a reading of around 1015 on the hydrometer also took a quick swig and it tastes furking fantastic just need to know should i leave for another couple of days before bottling ? also used custom fermentables from local HB shop would this make a difference? one more would using brown sugar to prime the bottles make any difference to the final brew and if so how much should I use per bottle?

At 28 a kit beer will easily finish fermenting in two days. Did you ferment the tin with a kilo of sugar, or something else?

Either way I would leave it for a couple more days before bottling. It won't hurt to leave it for a week.

great result how did you airate your yeast, shaking ther fermenter? you should rack and leave for another week i reckon.

cheers,

jj

Kai said:
At 28 a kit beer will easily finish fermenting in two days. Did you ferment the tin with a kilo of sugar, or something else?

Either way I would leave it for a couple more days before bottling. It won't hurt to leave it for a week.
[post="94908"][/post]​

I used a mix of 500grams dry dark malt + 250grams light dry malt + 250 grams corn syrup from the bake and brew shop in Gawler

@ 28c thats gonna be one hell of a fruity stout.
Where exactly is your local hbs,Gawler maybe?

jimmyjack said:
great result how did you airate your yeast, shaking ther fermenter? you should rack and leave for another week i reckon.

cheers,

jj
[post="94910"][/post]​

I just chucked the dry ingredients in first poured on the hot water then the contents of the can and stirred like buggery while the missus added the coldwater for me then chucked the yeast in gave it a quick stir coz it had gone in one place then popped the lid on ,all in the space of about five minutes :blink: .
by the way what do you mean by rack?

Brauluver said:
@ 28c thats gonna be one hell of a fruity stout.
Where exactly is your local hbs,Gawler maybe?
[post="94921"][/post]​

Thats the one!!!! :chug:

jimmyjack, aeration is not so much of an issue with dry yeast, it is ready-made to ferment.

steve the pom said:
Kai said:

[post="94908"][/post]​

I used a mix of 500grams dry dark malt + 250grams light dry malt + 250 grams corn syrup from the bake and brew shop in Gawler
[post="94920"][/post]​

Then a finishing gravity of 1.014 is acceptable.

As a general rule when fermentation has stopped bubbling the airlock I take an SG every two day. When two consecutive SG readings are the same (no further drop in two days) I rack and allow to settle out for 7 days. Then rack to bulk prime solution of dex/sugar water mix then bottle. Hope this helps.

Steve
Racking means to run the beer out through a tube of some description, so ya dont get any splashing (splashing after it has feremented is bad), into another fermenter and allowed to settle out again for as long as you can wait basically. I usually do it for 1 to 2 weeks, up to a few months for an imperial stout or barleywine. It makes for a clearer beer (less sediment, etc) not so much a problem when you are making a stout, and I think it makes it taste better, quicker (in the bottle), though I have absolutely no proof of that, so dont take it as gospel. If you ever wisah to dry hop, it is best to rack, as leaving the beer on the primary yeast bed for too long (from weeks to months), especially at 28C, can lead to autolysis (apparently burnt rubber flavours or something like that). Hope this (and all the brackets) helps
All the best
Trent

Hi thanks for all your replies to my queries :super: the brew has been in the bottle for just about 2 weeks now with 15 bottles primed with raw sugar & 15 with carbonation drops decided to sample one of each yesterday & the result is :chug: they both tasted pretty bloody good both had good head!!! and i think the alcohol content is pretty good as well as i was left feeling a little fuzzy round the edges after sinking a couple of longnecks :chug: so I guess i can look forward to a pretty good christmas with the rest of them to drink plus what is left of a batch of coopers pale ale & sparkling ale to see off as well !!!!! :rolleyes:

jj
[post="94910"][/post]​
[/quote]

I just chucked the dry ingredients in first poured on the hot water then the contents of the can and stirred like buggery while the missus added the coldwater for me then chucked the yeast in gave it a quick stir coz it had gone in one place then popped the lid on ,all in the space of about five minutes :blink: .
by the way what do you mean by rack?
[post="94923"][/post]​
[/quote]

This an old View attachment Link.htm

Latest posts

Back