Modiferm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NME69

Reaction score
A while back I went to my LHBS and asked about low carb brewing. What I mean is low cabohydrate not carbonation
Two seconds later I was handed a pack of Brewcraft Modiferm (fermentation modifier) along with some verbal instructions on how to use it. Well thats about it, thats all I know about it.
Can anyone tell me abit more about it and how it works or if it does really work :rolleyes:

A while back I went to my LHBS and asked about low carb brewing. What I mean is low cabohydrate not carbonation
Two seconds later I was handed a pack of Brewcraft Modiferm (fermentation modifier) along with some verbal instructions on how to use it. Well thats about it, thats all I know about it.
Can anyone tell me abit more about it and how it works or if it does really work :rolleyes:

I once thought it was a good idea.

I didn't listen to advice here.

I tried this product, and also the sachets of Dry Enzyme.

My beers came out horrible.

So don't be tempted to do it!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=23933

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13443

I have tried improzme (similar to modiferm) and beers turned out ok. You need to use all malt and a good yeast to get max benefit. The enzyme breaks down some of the long chain sugars in the malt into smaller pieces, and then the yeast turns them into alcohol. The result is a low carb (low sugar) beer and more alcohol (lower final SG).

If you use to much Dextrose with your K&K, the brew will end up to dry and hence to bitter. You need a good balance between hop bitterness and residual long chain sugars (sweet).

I am drinking a brew now that is delic, and it has improzyme in it, and the final SG was 1004.

The enzyme is naturally occurring in mash brews, and depending on the temp used for mashing it can be made very active or not.

Barry

I have tried improzme (similar to modiferm) and beers turned out ok. You need to use all malt and a good yeast to get max benefit. The enzyme breaks down some of the long chain sugars in the malt into smaller pieces, and then the yeast turns them into alcohol. The result is a low carb (low sugar) beer and more alcohol (lower final SG).

If you use to much Dextrose with your K&K, the brew will end up to dry and hence to bitter. You need a good balance between hop bitterness and residual long chain sugars (sweet).

I am drinking a brew now that is delic, and it has improzyme in it, and the final SG was 1004.

The enzyme is naturally occurring in mash brews, and depending on the temp used for mashing it can be made very active or not.

Barry

thanks barry

Back