Mmmmmm Bacon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most doctors I know are overweight and unhealthy with overly red noses.
I eat bacon, drink more than recommended and my nose is smooth and shiny and my bmi bang on.
Doctors?
Bof.

And hot, Mants. You forgot to mention that you are smokin' hot.

A bit like fresh bacon straight out of the weber :icon_drool2:

*Ahem* moving right along....

Here we see Peter Pork belly, loosely vac sealed for his big, sticky, peppery, bayleafy, sleep until next weekend.

How excitement !

image.jpg

Danwood said:
*Ahem* moving right along....

Here we see Peter Pork belly, loosely vac sealed for his big, sticky, peppery, bayleafy, sleep until next weekend.

How excitement !
Right there with you Danwood. Hope you know what you're doing LOL.

Honey Bacon.JPG

My Bacon Macon knowledge has come from this thread. Going to put in a heat shield on the UDS this week before the big day.

Looks good, BF. What cure recipe did you go with?

And what wood are you smoking with?

Following the same recipe as you mate. Went with 2% salt and used Bluegum Honey. Probably going to use Hickory, but last night thought throwing in some Redgum chunks could be good.

Scored 1Kg of fantastic Bellingen Butchery bacon.

The bacon gods where smiling the day this was made

2015-07-12 12.08.16.jpg

Brew Forky said:
Following the same recipe as you mate. Went with 2% salt and used Bluegum Honey. Probably going to use Hickory, but last night thought throwing in some Redgum chunks could be good.
I thought Redgum smoke would be good for mine too, as I'm using Redgum honey, but I don't have any on hand.
Cherry is my favourite overall, it's a really sweet, spicy smoke. It reminds me of my grandad's pipe tobacco when I was a kid.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Scored 1Kg of fantastic Bellingen Butchery bacon.

The bacon gods where smiling the day this was made

attachicon.gif
2015-07-12 12.08.16.jpg
Smoked with Scandinavian wood. Sounds good, Stu.

What would that be ? Beech, maybe ?

I think its done with hardwood like Ironbark mixed with a bit of hickory...well thats what it tastes and smells like

Their website says Scandinavian.

Looks good anyway.

Danwood said:
I thought Redgum smoke would be good for mine too, as I'm using Redgum honey, but I don't have any on hand.
This guy in Belgrave has all kinds of native snd fruit smoking woods on hand Danwood and doesn't mind a drop in for pickup. Be prepared for a bit of a chat! His Convict Rub is damn good too.

http://www.aussiebbqsmoke.com/#2806

That's where the cherry came from, Mardoo.

I have a free sample of the rub he threw in with 10kg of cherry. Plus this other one the Mrs got sent when she complained about some fancy muesli she got.

They'll both get a run soon. I'm thinking the African one on a leg of lamb and the Cajun on a shoulder of pork.

Can't wait. And some smoked malt in the bulk buy too....I'm all about the smoke !

image.jpg

What cuts are guys using for bacon, other then the standard belly/loin combo. Mants I know you have used shoulder before back in the thread somewhere. How did it stay together while cooking on the BBQ, as shoulder is fairly fatty and I thought it'd break up into annoying little pieces?

Want to do more bacon, but not with the belly, aint enough meat on it, and its an expensive cut.

That bacon Stu posted a pic of (post #170) looks like rolled shoulder too.

shaunous said:
What cuts are guys using for bacon, other then the standard belly/loin combo. Mants I know you have used shoulder before back in the thread somewhere. How did it stay together while cooking on the BBQ, as shoulder is fairly fatty and I thought it'd break up into annoying little pieces?

Want to do more bacon, but not with the belly, aint enough meat on it, and its an expensive cut.

To be honest I found it far less fatty than belly and it definitely held together.

You don't get any nipples though. I like nipples.

I think Tasmania is working it's magic on you, Mant.

Shoulder it is!!

I have a 5kg pork shoulder in my Freezer right now, but that's going to a low and slow trip in the smoker :super:

Back