Mmmmmm Bacon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This mornings country breakfast after an early morning shoot, mmmmmmm

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412979469.645601.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412979536.591417.jpg

Non-Homogenised Milk, Home Grown Eggs and Home Made Bacon.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412979600.383969.jpg

Now that's a good breakfast.

Is it wild pig bacon ? Maybe not, I imagine they'd be too lean for bacon ?

Nah not wild pig, they're not to lean though either, these big roasts are wild pig and the other 2 roasts are old sheep shoulder, but a smoker makes everything amazing. Cooked these a few weeks back.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1412986226.264844.jpg

Do you bait up areas when you go for pigs ? Get them used to coming back to an area (in which you've set up a hide) for a few weeks prior, with spent grain (mixed up with molasses?) or a few piles of old apples etc ?

I'm no hunter, but we used similar tactics when fishing for sport in UK. You'd get a bit of extra flavour into the meat too, I'd imagine.

Nah I shoot pigs while hunting, I do know guys who trap them with grain, but ya normally need big properties for that as the pigs never leave, when your amongst smaller properties and neighbours close-ish by, game such as pig, deer and goats move on between properties chasing feed and being chased by other hunters and it makes it harder. I do feed and track deer but I've been a lil busy for that this year.

Yeh Mans, Nitrites only, the local butcher buys it's all separately in massive bulk bags and he gave me a little, I pretty much added maple syrup and brown sugar to their basic brine they use on everything from Corned meat to their Xmas hams.

I did want to ask you about your bacon you do with shoulder but forgot. Do u brine the whole shoulder? bone in, out? Sounds a great way of doing it.

I really need to come up and go shooting with you some time
Those snapchats of you smoking the bacon were making me damn hungry!

Haha yeh I like teasing a lil' :)

Bacon was amazing, makes me feel a little better I was eating local pork, home laid eggs and local creamy milk also.

shaunous said:
Yeh Mans, Nitrites only, the local butcher buys it's all separately in massive bulk bags and he gave me a little, I pretty much added maple syrup and brown sugar to their basic brine they use on everything from Corned meat to their Xmas hams.
I did want to ask you about your bacon you do with shoulder but forgot. Do u brine the whole shoulder? bone in, out? Sounds a great way of doing it.
Bone out - just select the cut I want from a good local italian butcher and he prepares it for me in advance.
I've done both dry and wet cures - dry is my preference. My exact cure is somewhere earlier in the thread and it's a while since I did one (need to rectify) but salt + flavourings like thyme, garlic, black pepper, etc. Got some unused curing salts for some salami I never made so might do 2 lots and compare.

Sighted the big bores in this arvo sp0rk, so when ya ready:) Although the .308 needs a little more work, but had the .270 within an inch at 250-300m.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413017133.848990.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413017171.203150.jpg

That's no Bull ;)
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413017280.682577.jpg

lukiferj said:
How good is life?
Pretty good mate :)

Got some cattle work tomorrow then smoking more meats for my Great Uncles 80th Bday dinner I'm having out here.

Lamb and pork again, I've been told to cut back on the Chilli rub though because old time farmers apparently don't know what it is and it'll make them cry once consumed :)

Had a mate who could shoot foxes at 500m+ with a .17.....he would do it all night....every shot

P.s. Sorry for all the Off Topic's guys, maybe i should start a Shaunous Farm thread :)

Keep On Makin Bacon!!!

Bacon time soon, just working out the brine recipe ready for a 7 day curing of a 2kg pork belly.

After research, I think I'll go for....

2.5% meat weight (50g) sea salt
2.5g per kilo (5g) Prague powder/cure #1
1/2 cup Red Gum honey
6 fresh bay leaves
10 roughly crushed peppercorns

Then a thorough rinse, dry and overnight in the fridge.

Smoke for 2-3 hrs with cherry wood at around 100C until internal is 65C, maybe occasionally basting with more honey.

Any problems anyone can see with the amounts there, salts specifically ?

No issue specifically with those amounts. I go slightly less salt, about 2% as well as the curing salt (which often has salt mixed in) but I don't wash the bacon after curing so it still tastes quite salty.

Smoked bacon today over apricot and mulberry wood. Came out a great colour!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436358801.001521.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436358826.066108.jpg

Cured with salt, curing salt, brown sugar, pepper, juniper berries, garlic, bay and nutmeg.

Made me some more bacon. Just salt and honey, hickory for 2 hours in the weber. Very happy with this. Found a local shop that has a great variety of woods and the curing salts, so grabbed some apple and pear chips today. I'll give them a go next time. Damn you, AHB. You're clogging my arteries.

7C2vJR7l.jpg

r3SHzUul.jpg

5lGGCpvl.jpg

Back